New mobo, new CPU, and no booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
I just purchased a Foxconn WinFast K8S755A Socket 754 motherboard and an AMD Sempron 2600+ (1.6GHz) Socket 754 CPU. The motherboard uses DDR RAM, of which I had an extra 256MB PC2100 stick of, and AGP graphics, and I had an ASUS nVidia GeForce4 MX420 w/ 64MB, AGP4X card. I bought a new PSU as well (Powmax Tornado 300W w/ dual fans). I put all this stuff in my old Compaq case (which the previous motherboard had died on) and plugged it in.

When I push the power button (all I have hooked up is the button, since the Compaq's LED's and switch share a ground wire, unlike the motherboard, so I'll have to rewire), all that happens is the fans (all of them: PSU, CPU, GPU, and case) spin for about half a second. Then nothing. Dead nothing. Pressing the button again does nothing, except if I turn off the PSU, wait for the capacitors to drain, and turn it back on again, in which it does the same thing. I've tried my newer Radeon X1600Pro 8X board and a stick of PC3200 Pqi RAM (both from my AthlonXP PC, and they do work). Still nothing.

Is this mobo just dead? It just came today from newegg. If there's a good cheap 754 board that has dual IDE, AGP, and DDR RAM slots that would work with the Sempron I already bought, I'd send this board back and get a different one.

Never mind...

The case had some pins sticking out for extra screw holes, these pins were shorting out the board apparently, because after removing the pins, the board booted right up. Now to install OS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom