New mobo installed, now nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I have another problem. I have lost one of the screws and the spring that hold the heatsink down. I have searched and searched for it and I can't find it for the life of me. I imagine it would not be smart to run it without all four screws? Can you buy replacement screws? Man, my luck just keeps going downhill.

Some good news. I finally got it up and running. I really don't know what I did different than before. I have it installed inside the case like it should be.

I never did find the 4th screw for the heatsink. Luckily I had an old Artic Cooling Freezer7 pro heatsink that I installed. There is about a 10 degree difference between this one and the Tuniq Tower 120.

Besides the heatsink, nothing else was done different.

I have a bad feeling that this did not solve my problems I have been having, the display driver error and the not wanting to boot up. The hard drive temp is still showing 45 degrees, same as it was before. It should be around mid 20's.

I am still having problems. I have not been on my computer for a couple of days now and tonight I turn it on, and it will not boot. It gives me the disk boot failure message. Now it done the same thing on the old mobo and all I had to do was switch sata connectors on the mobo and it would work fine for a while then I would have to do the same thing again, just switch connectors. So I tried that again and I can not get it to boot. I have tried all 4 connectors on the mobo. Sometimes when it did boot up, after several hours Windows would become real slow to the point it would not do anything except restart to have it not boot up.

So it looks like the mobo is not the cause of my problems since it is doing the same exact thing on both mobo's. This has me thinking that the HDD or HDD's are bad. A while back I thought I ruled the HDD's out because I RMA'd both drives through Newegg. One reason I RMA'd the drives is because I was getting real slow transfer speeds between the 2 drives. There are 3 problems I have been having that I thought the mobo was causing, slow transfer speeds between the 2 hard drives, not booting up and the display driver error. I RMA'd the hard drives and didn't change anything, RMA'd the card and didn't change anything, in fact EVGA said the card was fine.

If the mobo is not causing my problems, then what the heck is causing the display driver error I have been getting while gaming? While using the old mobo, I have tried everything to fix the problem, uninstalled the driver using a driver cleaner, installed the newest driver, installed older drivers, reinstalled Windows, RMA'd the card. I have not tested this problem out yet on the new mobo since I am having trouble to get it to boot. But I have a feeling I am still going to receive the error.

One reason I thought it was the mobo is because I had a pci tv tuner connected and had a coax cable hooked up to it and I was unscrewing it with the pc off and I was getting shocked. It turns out the outlet I was plugged into was not grounded, that is fixed now. But I thought the voltage could of damaged something.

I am really getting fed up with these problems. I am running out of things to do. I can not even thing about selling it with the way it is now. Anybody have any suggestions pm what to do? I may try to return the hard drives again going through Western Digital but I just don't know since they have been replaced once already. I mean what are the chances of getting 4 bad hard drives?

Sorry for the long post, I appreciate it if you take the time to read it.

So will Linux Livecd detect any hardware problems? Will my Windows installation be safe while I use this? I assume I need to burn it to a cd as an ISO, right?

The livecd runs only in the ram. So your windows is fine... And you can save your files from the HD if you need too.

If you can get past the bios, you should be able to boot the livecd. If the bare minumum works, the cd will run. You can find livecds that are full of diagnostic tools to scan your drives and such.

Even memtest86 will work, as it is a lnux livecd.

To make the cd, you burn the ISO to a cd... ISO is an image file that needs to get unpacked to become bootable.

Its free, and easy to try... If it is a hd issue it'll show thayt, or show if its more hardware.

The livecd runs only in the ram. So your windows is fine... And you can save your files from the HD if you need too.

If you can get past the bios, you should be able to boot the livecd. If the bare minumum works, the cd will run. You can find livecds that are full of diagnostic tools to scan your drives and such.

Even memtest86 will work, as it is a lnux livecd.

To make the cd, you burn the ISO to a cd... ISO is an image file that needs to get unpacked to become bootable.

Its free, and easy to try... If it is a hd issue it'll show thayt, or show if its more hardware.

Which livecd's are full of diagnostics tools? Sometimes it gets past the bios and other times it doesn't. I have memtest86 but I have already tested with that a while back and it was fine. I know something could of happened between then and now but it was doing the exact same thing when I tested the ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom