New Mobo/CPU -- Freezes on install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darksteel

Beta member
Ok my brother has been having the worst of luck with computers lately. His laptop fried and now his desktop went kaput. I personally think he is magnetised or something.. but anyways heres his issue.

He had a Core2Duo on an Asus P5N board that supports LGA775 cpu's. WD320 gig HD, onboard sound, offbrand DVD burner, Antec 300 case, Asus 9600 or 9800 video card (cant remember), and 3 gigs ram. He kept having trouble installing programs, and kept getting the blue screen O-death saying he had a memory management problem. He replaced the ram and after that his PC would turn on but not display anything. I tested his Video card in my system and it worked fine so I suggested he replace the motherboard.

Yesterday he picked up a brand new Core2duo, and ASUS P5G41-M LE/CSM mobo, Kingston ram. the rest of the parts are the same. I helped him install them. we double and triple checked all the connections. I booted up the system went into Bios and made sure everything looked good then I put his windows 7 disk in the drive and booted off the CD. the system will start to load all the drivers then when the screen changes to 'windows starting' and you see the 4 colored dots forming the windows logo the screen will freeze before the logo forms. I even tried my older XP disk and Vista disk to see if maybe his win-7 disk was damaged, and everytime just as windows is loading for the install it will lockup. we let it sit for 15min and no change. I thought maybe his new memory was conflicting with the old so we only put 1 type in, no change... I had a backup DVD-rom and HD so I hooked those up.. no change. I went in and disabled the onboard video card... no change.

Ive never run into a practically new system locking up on the windows install before. even if it was a hard-disk problem It shouldnt cause any issues because everything is being run off the dvd. or would it?

well I ended up calling infotech. the dude there said it sounds like the board or memory is defective and to bring it back and they will give my brother a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom