New memory not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbmxdave

In Runtime
Afternoon

I recently bought 2 sticks of "Extra Value 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz 184pin Extra Value Ram" as an upgrade for my pc which had 756mb before.

I replaced the 2 old sticks with the 2 new ones and turned on my pc.
the BIOS Load up screens come on and do their stuff. then the windows loading screen comes on, but then the pc restarts everytime.

it is possible to start the pc in safe mode, and that loads up fine, but I cant run any tools such as cpu-z to check what my pc is making of all this new RAM.

I also tried running it with a stick of old RAM and 1 stick of new RAM and the same thing happens although sometimes the error:

"ISASS.EXE - the endport format is invalid"

appears on safemode startup.

the only combination that works is just using my 2 old sticks.

does anybody have any ideas what could be causing the problem? or anything I can look into to try to learn more about it?

Thankyou for your Time

Does it work with just 1 of the new DIMMs?

Looking at the specs of your MOBO, it doesn't seem that it supports DDR400 (at least without downclocking it), which may create a problem. What speed is your old RAM?

Also, although according to MSI's specs, it can support 2GB, I've seen conflicting reports that it only supports 1.5 GB.

Specs: MSI Computer Corp. - Product (Use the search feature in the top right with the model number for a full list of models of that mobo)

1. Run Memtest. You can make a floppy to boot into it.

2. Disable reboot on system failure. Right click my computer>>properties>>advanced>>Startup and Recovery settings>>

Uncheck Automatically restart.

Please post as much information as possible and include any STOP 0x errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom