New laptop battery refuses to charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlleangelique

Baseband Member
Hello,

I'm having some problems with my laptop and, erm, rather hope that I won't have to go and buy a new one...

It's a Dell Latitude LS - specs can be provided if they're relevant.

After the old battery went from barely any capacity to no capacity at all, I just bought a new one. When I first got it yesterday it seemed to charge fine, all the way up to 100%. However, it now seems to have run through all that battery, and is not charging at all.

On the "Power Meter" tab of the "Power Options Properties" window in the Control Panel, the picture of the battery has a line though it and a "zap"-type power symbol, and says 0% next to it (no matter how long I leave it in) and "Charging" underneath. When I click on it for details, it says it is "on-line".

This is particularly annoying as the power connection is slightly unreliable, and tends to occasionally come out when the laptop's moved, which means that without any charge in the battery it's liable to just suddenly turn itself off withoutany warning.

Is anyone able to advise? Thank you...

*Bump* because Dell seem to think £500 is just fine for repairing an old laptop, so if it there's no way to make it work, it'll probably have to be a new one.

Dell seemed to reckon it was down to the motherboard, but it did recharge a second time the other day, so is this still likely to be the case? And if it is, is there anything I can do about it?

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom