new HDD,seen in bios,Device Mgr,but not in Windows Explorer! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 02:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default new HDD,seen in bios,Device Mgr,but not in Windows Explorer!

MSI P-35 Platinum/ Intel-2.4- Q6600 Quad/ 3.2GB DDR/ WindowsHome 32bit (SP3)

I've spent all day wiping the hard drive,installing Windows Home 32Bit (after having other problems with last O.S.) installed all the MSI Utilites,drivers,software and hardware,then I shut-down,and hooked up my SATA WD 500GB HDD. I looked in the BIOS and it showed both drives..74GB Raptor Sata 5, and WD 500GB Sata 6 in the Bios.

I went to hardware wizard clicked on "already installed hardware" and chose WD500 GB HDD, it said it was working perfectly/

I then went into DEVICE MANAGER and saw the two drives in DISK DRIVES, but when I go into the Windows Explorer Folder and look under MY COMPUTER, all I see is the one 74GB raptor,where all my apps are on. I need this 500GB for storage. I must have a brainfart and too tired to realize if I missed a step in installing this second HDD.

Please Help. Thanks! I don't remember getting an install CD with this HDD.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: new HDD,seen in bios,Device Mgr,but not in Windows Explorer!

how is it formatted?

Old 04-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'
Click on 'Disk Management' in the left hand pane. A list of all your installed hard drives will pop up, one of them should be the 500Gb drive
Right click on the drive and select 'Initialise' or 'New Partition'
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 04-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, we all make mistakes....RIGHT?
Disk Management is my friend now and we are going out for drinks later. Thanks to all who replied. I feel like a dope.DOH! I've done it many times when reinstalling windows,but I simply had a temporary lapse of reasoning working on this wipe out, reinstalling windows,hardware,software,drivers all day and forgot to do that important task of formatting,partitioning, and mark it with a assigned letter. YES! Computer Management rocks! My Bad, and sorry for wasting everyone's time.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

no need for apologies.