New HDD Not Appearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocsvan

Web Programmer
i have just bought a new 320GB SATA Harddrive. i plan on copying all the data over to the new HDD from my current 80GB IDE drive. i have installed the raid drivers under windows XP for the new harddrive, and i have started windows XP setup in DOS so that it can install the Drivers on the drive itself. the Drive will still not appear under My Computer. what do i do?

Does it appear under Disk Management?

Run>compmgmt.msc

No it doesn't. i dont understand why not though. ive installed the drivers and everything, and checked hardware and it shows the controller and the driver. when i put it in a little bubble popped up in the bottom right.

Does it show up in bios? If you plan on using it as the boot device you will have to reinstall anyway. There is no way that i know of to transfer a windows install from one drive to another. What brand of drive is it? When i reinstalled windows monday i put windows on a 30gb partition of my 160 and the other 120gb didnt show up until i ran the seagate disc after installing windows.

Does it show up in bios? If you plan on using it as the boot device you will have to reinstall anyway. There is no way that i know of to transfer a windows install from one drive to another. What brand of drive is it? When i reinstalled windows monday i put windows on a 30gb partition of my 160 and the other 120gb didnt show up until i ran the seagate disc after installing windows.

theres special software used for cloning disks.

You have to create a partition for the new drive. Go to control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management -> disk management and trace your new hard drive and create a new partition for it.

You have to create a partition for the new drive. Go to control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management -> disk management and trace your new hard drive and create a new partition for it.

yeah great. i JUST said it isn't in disk management.

okay it works now. i found the only way to get it to appear was to run through the XP installation + pressing F6 right at the begginning so it would be able to see the motherboard. then it showed thew 320GB with no partition, so it turns out thats all i needed to do. i assumed that the drive already came with a partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom