Beta member
I am installing a brand new computer, and spec as follows:

CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600
MB: Asus P5Q Pro
Graphic card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512mb
PSU: Thermaltake Purepower RX 600W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500Gb 7200RPM SATA HDD
Optical: Lite-on IDE DVD burner

The problem I have is, when I connect HDD to MB, and press power button, I see CPU fan start spinning, and everything stops immediately, as if some hardware check failed, but if I disconnect the HDD, everything starts as normal, I can go into BIOS, and when BIOS setup is done, I was shown the msg to put in the boot CD.

Can someone give me a suggestion as how to diagnose the problem? The SATA connector on MB is 3GB, and I have removed the jumper on HDD to make its SATA speed to 3GB, per Seagate Instruction.

I went into BIOS, and see that all SATA connectors are enabled, but even if I only connect HDD to PSU (not connected with MB), the system won't start.

I would really appreciate any comments/suggestions.

I think you mean 300MB/s not 3GB. SATA I is 150MB/s and the newer SATA II which is yours, is 300MB/s.

Have you tried another SATA power cable? The TT Purepower should come with 2 sets of SATA power cables and it could be that one is faulty.

I think you mean 300MB/s not 3GB. SATA I is 150MB/s and the newer SATA II which is yours, is 300MB/s.

Have you tried another SATA power cable? The TT Purepower should come with 2 sets of SATA power cables and it could be that one is faulty.

Thank you for pointing out my error. Yes, I meant 300mb.

I have tried both SATA power cord, and both SATAT connectors on PSU, and got the same result. With HDD connected, nothing starts, with HDD disconnected, even if just disconnect the power cord, I can start the system, and go into BIOS.

Another side issue I noticed, once in BIOS setup screen, if I press button on DVD burner, the light will be on, and goes off in several seconds, but the burner will not open, I am not sure if that's normal.

Well if the computer doesn't boot up while the hard drive isn't even connected to the computer it's a faulty PSU. It could be the drive but it would have to take in so much power that the drive simply wouldn't function.

The DVD problem you're describing isn't normal either. If both your DVD and hard drives are failing then it is a PSU problem.

I had a problem fixing a friends PC that he put together and not sure if all MB have this issue, but it wouldn't boot unless the HD was in the sata 1 port, He had it in #2 and just the fans went on and then nothing. I forget what board he had and took me a while to figure it out. so I took all connections out and reconnected every thing and put the HD in port 1 and it booted right up, I then tried it in port 2 and it wouldn't boot again so I left it in port 1 and it's been fine since. so I would try that first, Never seen that issue before but I'm usually the one that builds it and have always used port one for HD.

Dauntae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom