New HDD,Disk Read Error on Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matteo1

Beta member
hey guys i just bought a new seagate 300gb hdd cuz my old maxtor 40gb started making some wierd noises, so i cloned my old hdd onto the new one using acronis true image and unhooked the old one, everything has been working fine on the new hdd for the last month (although it failed trying to make a partition and had some random "file could not be moved error at 0000x0000" crashes) However, a couple days ago i did a defrag on it using O&O defrag using the NAME method and on the next startup i got "Disk Read Error, pres ctrl alt del to restart" I can not get it to reboot, it works as a slave which is what im doing now (old maxtor primary with the new one as a slave and i can see/use all the old files) and i did a checkdisc on it and it went fine, but i cant get it to work byitself. Any ideas? Heres what my BIOS say
Boot list:1st-floppy,2nd-ARMD FDD,3rd-IDE HDD,4th ATAPI CDROM, 5th Disabled. For the IDE specs it goes Primary IDE Master-Maxtor 40gb, Primary IDE Slave- Not installed,2nd Master-DVD rw, 2nd Slave-ST3300831A.

Any ideas? i already have 100gb on it, but i can take it back and exchange it if i have to, what should i do? thanks for any help!

so i found out what was wrong, the MBR got moved when i did the defrag so it cant startup from that drive, when you clone a hdd it doesnt lock any of the data to specific sectors like when you install Windows, so im glad its not the hdd thats the problem i just need to clone the drive over again and remember to never do a defrag on a cloned OS!

Matteo1 said:
so i found out what was wrong, the MBR got moved when i did the defrag so it cant startup from that drive, when you clone a hdd it doesnt lock any of the data to specific sectors like when you install Windows, so im glad its not the hdd thats the problem i just need to clone the drive over again and remember to never do a defrag on a cloned OS!

You can defrag on a cloned system. You must of done something wrong suring the cloning process. I clone all the time and run it as if it was loaded normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom