New HDD - BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

latamesh

Baseband Member
I've personally experienced HDD die on me so when I saw CHKDSK running three days in a row, it was time to replace my Seagate Barracuda HDD. I purchased a WD Caviar from my local PC shop (didn't want to drive too far for Best Buy and besides, I need to help them stay in business).

So this is what I did:

Acronis True Home Disk Clone from Seagate 300GB to WD 160GB.
Jumpered WD to Master and Seagate to Slave.
Booted PC.
In about 5 minutes I got BSOD - BAD_POOL_HEADER.
So I took out the Seagate and made WD Cable Select.
Still got BAD_POOL_HEADER.
From other forums I ran msconfig and in Services Tab, I unchecked Indexing Service and Volume Shadow Copy.

So far, no BSOD.

I'm asking here if I did the right thing and what's the consequences for keeping those two unchecked? Or are there better alternatives? I tried MBRfix but I can't create a bootable CD.

Secondly, what's the best method to make Seagate the slave drive (what tests I should run to know if it's viable or not)?

FWIW, I noticed that when I booted up the first time, here are the drive assignment:
C: WD HDD
D: DVD
E: CD
F: Seagate HDD

I'm pretty sure that it should be rearranged as:
C: WD HDD
D: Seagate HDD
E: DVD
F: CD

Thanks.

P.S. 300GB was an overkill for me so I wanted to save money with 160GB because sometime next year I plan to purchase or build an entire new PC anyway.

For one once you transferred the image made off of the larger Seagate drive and placed it on the WD 160gb model that saw an immediate hardware change resulting in the badd_pool_header error. You would need a clean install to see that corrected.

The previous installation simply bumped the Seagate drive letter down having only added that to the previous configuration. If you were to perform a clean install of Windows on the 160gb you would likely see the Seagate as D until going into the Disk Management to reassign drive letters there.

Seagate should have some of their drive tools you can download off of their support site like drive diagnostics to see if there are bad sectors or other problems with the drive to report. That would be SeaTools found at Seagate Technology - SeaTools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom