new hdd acting weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosDingo

Beta member
Hi,

I have a hitachi deskstar 80GB hdd at first, and decided to upgrade my storage with a additional Maxtor Diamondback 10 200GB HDD. Both uses SATA-II, but the only difference is the way it connects to the power supply. The Maxtor diamondback 10 uses a SATA power connector(im not sure of the exact technical term, sorry) while the hitachi deskstar 80GB uses a traditional 4 pin power connector(again, not sure of technical term.) Additionally, the maxtor diamondback 10 has jumpers that sets the data transfer speed to either 3.0GBps or 1.5GBps. i set it at 3.0GBps

Actually its a rather long story so i'll just try my best to summarise it.

At first while installing and partitioning the maxtor hdd it was smooth, but after 8 days, my com freezes itself up and some weird noise started to come from the maxtor hdd, did a scandisk and found 4 bad sectors,

went down to manufacturer and got a one on one exchange, went home, used the maxblast program(latest available) to partition, theres when sumthing weird happened. maxblast claimed that it partitioned the drive successfully, but windows obviously didnt agree and my hdd remain undetected. tried to format using window's computer management and got a FAT format instead of the normal NTFS one. tried numerous times and sumhow succeeded.

using it fine until ytd, when suddenly my maxtor hdd just disappeared frm windows, undetected! restart com twice before everything went back to normal, did a scandisk again and luckily, everything was ok.

Am I doing something wrong? what is the root of my problem? Any solutions?

any help will be appreciated.

thank you in advance.

Im not quite sure if this is useful but i shall post up my computer specs to the best of my knowledge.

1. Intel p4 proccessor 2.8GHz
2. Msi 915P NEO2-FR ICH6-DDR2 PCI-E W/GLAN/IDE RAID/SATA
3. 1GB ram
4. Hitachi 80GB 7200RPM HDD SATA II (8mb)
5. Maxtor diamondback 10 200GB SATA II (8mb)
6. Windows XP sp2

PS. My english is terrible, pardon me for i am not from around here.

In administrative tools (control panel) and disk management...Does the drive show up? If it does and it shows as unallocated you will have to format/partition that drive from disk management in control panel. Did you do this?

yeah i did that. it is detected and healthy(active) as displayed by the computer management currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom