New HD problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zait

Solid State Member
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and im hoping you guys can help me out.

Here is my story....

My ATA hard drive warns me that it is about to crap out. So I decided I want a SATA2 hard drive. My mobo doesnt support SATA so I had to buy a PCI card to make it work.

I bought my HD and my PCI card and I installed them just fine and put WinXP(SP2) on it. Now my computer seems to freeze all the time. It usually only happens when I start up a game... like worlds of warcraft... or Counter Strike... and it will freeze and reboot... but I doesnt reboot.... the computer stays on, but doesn't actually reboot.

So after about 3 days of that Id had enough. So I used to use win2K so I decided to use Partition Magic and make a new partition and install win2K and see if that would help...

Well it didn't I followed the steps for installing a new OS on the partition and that messed things up so bad my computer wont boot up.

So then I plugged my old HD back up and used partition magic and reformatted my new HD to see if that would fix it.....

NOPE... now when a put the winXP or the win2K install CD in it gives me "NO HARD DRIVE DISK WAS FOUND"(something like that).

Any Ideas or suggestions would be great.

Also I'm a little slow on the computer things so if you can give me exact steps that would be great.

Here is my Computer INFO.

the PCI card I got is: PROMISE FASTTRAK TX2300
new HD is: Seagate HD 320G|ST 7K 16M SATA2 ST3320620ASA

CPU Tab:

Processor Specification: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2200+
Processor Code Name: Thoroughbred
Core Speed: 1799.3 MHz
FSB: 266.6 MHz
Bus Speed: 133.3 MHz

Mainboard Tab:

Motherboard Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Motherboard Model: A7V333
Graphic Interface Version: Didnt give me one but it is a nivida msi Ti4400
Graphic Interface Transfer Rate

Memory Tab:

Type: DDR
Size: 1024 MBytes
Frequency: 166.6 MHz

System Tab:

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Display Tab:

Device Name: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400
Device Chip Type: GeForce4 Ti 4400
Device Approx. Total Memory: 128.0 MB

Drivers Main Driver: nv4_disp.dll
Drivers Version: 6.14.0010.9131 (English)

You probably need to put a new active dos partition back on the hard drive. Does your bios see the new hard drive? If you have a win 98 boot floppy disk you can boot with that and type fdisk from the A promptgo to the option 4 and see if you have any partitions. you can delete the partitions just follow the instructions. Then slect option 1 create a new dos active partition. Just follow the instructions i think you just answer yes, yes and when thats done reboot with your windows disk in and reinstall.

I don't understand why not I can plug my old HD in and run partition magic and format it. I can put files onto the HD so i know it's hooked up right and everything. I did the whole win98 boot disk it didnt seem to do anything. Partition magic shows it to be of active status.

But as soon as I unplug the old HD and I start up my machine I dont even get the boot from cd option sometimes. and when i do it tells me I have no HD.

I have been trying everything I can think of and still nothing. What makes me mad is that I had it working before except with the freezeing which was unexceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom