New HD not showing up

mac_mogul

The Original Mac User
I bought a 1tb WD Blue 6Gb/s SATA drive to install in my 3Gb/s SATA computer. It should be backwards compatible, right?
Mobo is Gigabyte p35-ds3l, latest BIOS

I plug the drive in on my usual settings and it doesn't boot into Windows
-I've checked boot sequence in BIOS, the HDD with the boot rom on it has priority in channel 0

The new HDD does not appear in the BIOS as anything. Where it should say CH.2 [serial number] it is just completely blank.

I fiddled around with the IDE settings and AHCI and no matter what I can't get the drive to show up.

I know WD has some sort of utility that I can download but I assume the drive has to be attached to the mobo in order for any utility to work and as it is, the computer will NOT boot to Windows if the new drive is attached.

Did I get a bad drive? I've requested an RMA from Newegg but I want to check here first in case there's anything I missed.

Yep. Tried different ports, different SATA power cables, no matter what it simply wouldn't show up as anything. In the event that there's no device connected to a port, the BIOS will say "CH.2 [NONE]" but this just says nothing at all so I'm inclined to believe something is happening which is why I'm hesitant to return it right away. (I've got 14 days before the RMA expires)

I'm at work now so I'm not sure what I can do to find out what specific BIOS I'm running... whatever the latest Gigabyte BIOS are for my mobo.

If you have one, try putting it in an external enclosure. Otherwise, I'd say it's a dead drive.

Can you feel it spin up at all?

Yes. It spins up at post and I can hear it click a couple of times before it stops at BIOS.

I do not have an external enclosure that will hold this drive. I've got two enclosures, but one is for a 2.5 sata and the other is for 3.5 IDE.

I do not have an external enclosure that will hold this drive. I've got two enclosures, but one is for a 2.5 sata and the other is for 3.5 IDE.
Anybody you know that has a computer that you could potentially test the hard drive on? If it would be way outta your way to do that, then I'd agree with carnage to say it's dead and RMA it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom