New HD Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

novacaine98

Baseband Member
I have a Dell Dimension 4550 which came with a Hitachi Deskstar 60GB HD. Recently I bought a Western Digital 120GB HD to serve as additional space for music and stuff. Anyways since I already had Windows XP installed on the Hitachi HD I decided to use that one as the master and the Western Digital HD as the slave. I set the jumper settings correctly, I know this cause I've checked like 10 times. Anyways when I boot up the computer with the Hitachi HD set as the master and the Western Digital HD set as the slave the computer says that there are no HDs present. When I just boot it up with the Hitachi as the master and no Western Digital then it loads up just fine. What could be the problem?

Quick update. I tried again with the Hitachi HD at as primary disk 0 and the Western Digital HD as the primary disk 1. This time it said primary disk 1 not found then said strike F1 to retry or F2 to run setup. I hit the F1 button and it loaded up windows off the hitachi HD but didn't recognize the Western Digital HD. I figured I had to format and partition the drive so I loaded up Partition Magic but it only recognized the Hitachi HD and not the Western Digital one. Hope that helps some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom