New HD installed, but no response and black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfinablender

Beta member
Hello, my family's HD just died a few weeks ago so I had them buy a new one. I checked with HP to make sure their computer wasn't under warranty and to double check the type of HD they needed so they buy the right one. I just installed the new hard drive and at first the computer starts up, the disc drive spins (since it has the recovery discs) and there's nothing on the screen. Now when I turn it on the power button lights up, turns off, then lights up again as the computer checks the disc and then a loud tone/beeping starts to go off until I turn the computer off. No HP logo, no text, nothing regardless of if the disc is in the drive or not. I've checked and double checked to make sure I installed and connected properly. My own HD died about a year ago and I was able to replace it without issues, recovery included but this one has me puzzled. Any help? The replacement is a seagate 500GB, 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive. Thanks in advance.

You can check with hp's website to discern the meaning of the post beeps.

My guess is you knocked something loose (ie power cable or gpu) while installing the hd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom