New hardware trouble - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to factorof2 Send a message via Yahoo to factorof2
Default New hardware trouble

I recently upgraded my RAM and video card and it's been fine for about 3 or so weeks. However, I recently started playing Age of Empires III again and at random points in the game, menu or in game, my monitor will turn off to standby, and the game freezes up. I decided to check one of the two variables in the situation and switch to my old video card, now I've played at least four hours today without any problems whatsoever. I've been told this may be due to software conflicts because not all bits and pieces of my last video card drivers were uninstalled with it. Has anyone ever experienced this before, or could give me some good advice? I'm just looking around for second opinions at this point because I think the other person I've talked to may be right.

My system specs are:
Soyo Dragon 2 MoBo
Intel Pentium 4 2.6 GHz
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR RAM
120 GB Maxtor 7,200 RPM HDD
ATi Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB (I put this in temporarily in place of my Radeon X700 Pro AGP)

Old 01-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

yes, its possible. Try using a driver cleaner to uninstall and completely remove it. If that doesn't work, could be anything from PSU being underrated, over heating or a APM problem.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 01-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to factorof2 Send a message via Yahoo to factorof2

I don't think my PSU is underrated because it's at 400 W and the only things it plugs into are the case fans, the MoBo, the video card and one CDRW. The heat I also doubt is the problem since I was running just fine for a while including several straight hours of COD 2 on high settings and because my case temperature generally maintains about 92 to 94 degrees Farenheit. However, what is an APM problem? Thanks for the reply.

EDIT: Sorry, that was a screw up for a sec. I know figured out the APM acronym about fifteen seconds after hitting submit :-P. No, I don't think that's it either, because I turned off all screensavers and totally disabled all my APM stuff in Windows and the problem still occurred. Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

did you disable it in the bios? also, try installing the MBD chipset drivers and check the monitor refresh ratings.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Closed Thread