New Hardware. Corrupt Harddrives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie578

In Runtime
I recently rebuilt my computer with a new ASUS motherboard and a X2 3800+ using a new case, same RAM and HDDS/Optical I already had. So i built the computer and then I had some wierd booting problems. Windows froze a bunch of times while loading and so I had to reset it. Then it finally got to the login screen but my keyboard and mice werent working. SO i tied PS2 KB+M and i was able to login ok. While in windows it froze a few times before I was able to install most of the drivers I needed. I had to install a bunch of PCI and IDE bridges and stuff. They were usually slightly different in their names, but one time when i rebooted i had to install the same drivers again. Anyway. Once I got everything installed i took out the PS2 stuff and my PC stayed on the XP loading splash screen, so i figured out that i needed the PS2 stuff plugged in for it to finish loading. Anwyway, my real problem came wen i was using my computer. My 250GB Seagate STAT drive was read as not formatted (I think) at first. I unplugged it and plugged it back in bceause this has happened like twice before. Now when i click on it it says that the disc is corrupted and unreadable. I also have another 320GB Seagata STAT (VIA USB elousre) that is being read as not formatted. Im not sure at when point I had it on and plugged into my system. I ran HDD Regenerator on the 250GB, looking for bad sectors and it got to about 98% done before i accidently hit the power button and it didnt find any bad sectors. Next I ran Segate Lifeguard Tools or whatever. I ran the quick check and the sector test and they both came out OK. Then i noticed that it was detecting the NTFS partition on it, so I and the "File Structure Test". It says: "Eaxamines FAT and NTFS partition volume directorys and file information. The test determines of there are data file stucture errors on any partitions or volumes." It failed this test. I dont know what to do next. Some advice would be great. I havent tested anything with my 320GB harddrive. Thanks Guys.

I dont mean to triple post but it wont let me edit.

Repair XP to Repair the Boot Sector:

It reads:
How to Repair the Boot Sector:
If XP won't start it may be due to a damaged boot sector or a missing or corrupt ntldr or ntdetect.com files.

To replace damaged ntldr and ntdetect.com you can copy fresh files from the XP CD using the COPY command. Boot with the XP CD and enter the Recovery Console (as above). At the Command Prom pt type the following (where "X" is your CD-Rom drive letter) allowing the files to overwrite the old files
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:

To repair a damaged Boot Sector at the command prompt type FIXBOOT and press Enter. Then answer "Y"

There is/was no operating system installed on this drive. Does it even have a boot sector?

The windows Error-checking thing has two options 1)Automatically fix file system errors and 2) Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

That sounds like exactly what I need, but I cant run it on the drive through windows.

Also, im almost positive that write caching on the disk was enabled and the description reads: "this setting enables write caching to improve disk preformance, but a power outtage or equipment failure might result in data loss or corruption.

That sounds like the source of my problem since my PC constantly locked up with my new hdd.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. If WORST comes to WORST, ill buy a new Hard Drive and use getbackdata and recover waht I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom