New Harddrive and windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

chump

Baseband Member
So i got my copy of windows 7 (64bit) today. I already have XP 32bit on my hardrive so I unplugged it and put my new one in (the same exact kind) and ran the windows 7 disc. When It came to the option of choices a device to install it on there was nothing listed, I went into BIOS and where the HD is plugged in its just a blank Space [ ] so i go into there and it says 0 mb. Then i decided to run my XP disc and try to format it from there, I got a BSoD (twice). Then i thought maybe i should of ran my mobo disc first, after runing it the screen said no device found or recognized.

is there some types of drivers my harddrive needs? Why isnt showing up in BIOS? Did i completely forget an important step?

Sorry i post alot here i just seem to have so many problems:cry:

my drive Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Check the SATA cable is connected completely at both ends, if so try another SATA cable, and also try a different SATA slot if you can.
Other than that there's not much to say other than the drive is probably DOA.

I tryed the cables that are in my current working HD and the new cables. Is there anyway to test it to know its DOA?

hmm should i have the jumper on anywhere to format it so it will show up?
The hard drive spins, i can hear and feel it.

I tryed the cables that are in my current working HD and the new cables. Is there anyway to test it to know its DOA?

Well you could always try it in another PC, but I highly doubt that would provide any new information. The fact that it doesn't work is a fair indication that it's DOA.

The fact it actually says 0mb is the worrying thing. So.. it actually detected it? In the post screen does it list it?

If it does and its just not letting you access it.. it's DOA ( dead on arrival ). Send it back, get a new one :)
As for the jumpers, it won't be the jumper settings.

Well instead of saying none it said it just had a blank space. So update

I started playing with the wires. My setup I had my 2 Sata cables that came with my computer one to my HD and one to my CDrom. I bought another cable from bestbuy and that was in the new HD.

Expirement one: I switch the two HD wires.. Fail

2: I unplugged my first HD(The working one): fail

3: I unplug my CD rom...BIOS detects it!!

4: I plug my first HD back in. New one isn't shown. Fail

5: unplug old drive. Use new chord on CDrom and now CDROM and new HD works

so this is weird
seems my new HD is a cable *****. Installing windows 7 on it now ( with problems of course) untill I figure out how to have both plugged in.

Should i be installing windows 7 on an unallocated space?

This whole process is REALLY slow. everything takes forever to load and after i selected the space and next to install its been sitting there with the mouse loading for about 30mins. Is it frozen or slow? the disc stopped spinning.....

maybe you should install the drivers for the the second one by booting into the OS that you already have installed in the old drive. Thats what I do.

I'd email WD and ask them. As I told him before for Windows to see new boot drive he needs the Sata controller drivers for his mb from GB website. I had the same issue when I put new HD in for win 7 32 bit bios will NOT see HD until I downloaded the sata raid controller pre install driver. I did all the pulling and unplugging sata cable thing too did nothing. Then in setup hit F6 to load your exact contoller and then it should see HD. I did try both drivers the sata controller driver and sata raid driver the raid driver worked. Of course the driver I needed went on a 1.44 floppy not CD.

My old computer was a 925xe MB ati 700 pro video card and Audigy ZS soundcard it works fine in 7. Yes I got a WD blue 320 GB Sata II drive had to jumper it to sata1 but, I know yours isn't sata 1.

Well i did get the drivers but now my first problem is fixed, i got bios to recognize all my drives. Its just weird my windows 7 disc is Sooooooooooo slow it takes 5-10mins to get passes all the screens and when i finally got it to start installing it stood at 0% for about 30mins so i just turned it off and now it just comes up with errors. I tried using my windows xp disc to format it(because the windows7 disc is horrible slow) first the quick format came up with an error saying it might be corrupt or damaged and then a full format just sat at 0% so i turned it off. Now i am logged in Xp on my first hard rive trying to format it. the quick came up with an error and now I am waiting to see if full does anything.

Could the HD still be DoA if BIOS sees it? and why is my windows 7 disc so slow? its a official copy i bought from newegg.

PS: in my computer the new HD is shown but has 0mb/0mb and the type is raw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom