New Hard Drive W/o Jumper Shunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an OEM W.D Caviar 640gb HDD and it came without the lil plastic thing that configures jumper setting. Are they supposed to come with one? I would assume so.

If it is OEM then there is no guarantee that it will. OEM comes as is with just the drive. So it could be very well likely that the jumper was either removed or fell off at the warehouse.

Is that an ide or sata drive? If ide take one off any older drive you bought retail or look in the retail box itself. Generally they stick a small bag with 4 extras in it there.

Sata I type drives see a mode switch jumper either left at the default position or removed for use in desktops. I doubt a 640gb model is the Sata I type however.

I have an OEM W.D Caviar 640gb HDD and it came without the lil plastic thing that configures jumper setting. Are they supposed to come with one? I would assume so.

I referred to this over here, and even gave you the link to check for yourself. If you go there and check the link you will see what I said is true. Here is the thread post with the referring link:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/first-build-cpu-fan-probs-197127/index3.html

Western Digital PDF file

For a Sata II type drive you don't need a jumper simply drop it in and run it. The jumper block is used for changing transfer modes not for general use on desktops. I run a pair of Sata II drives here without any jumper since that sets the default automatically.

If you were working with the old Sata I type you would there however. The jumper on those was for changing drive modes where the drives were shipped with the jumper set to the default position.

You don't need it. If you're using SATA drives you don't need a jumper. I thought you would need one to make a SATA 300 drive work with a SATA 150 computer, but it worked fine without, even switching to the slower speed. If it's IDE, pull one off of your motherboard (if there are spares) or other hard drives. You may be able to configure it without a jumper inserted using cable select or making your other drive either master or slave (depending what your new drive sets itself to without a jumper).

If you were working with the old Sata I type you would there however. The jumper on those was for changing drive modes where the drives were shipped with the jumper set to the default position.

Not all old SATA drives had them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom