new hard-drive. have problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbiesla

Beta member
i recently brought a brand spanking new 320gig SATA drive. my mobo supports SATA. i installed the hardware, but when i boot windows up it does not show the new hard drive on "my computer" it is however recognised by the microsoft device manager and says it is functioning normally. but i can not use the device. i'm running windows xp pro- service pack 1. am i going to need to get service pack 2 up and running or what?

Hello,

Go to Start > Run > Type compmgmt.msc and hit enter.

Under Storage in the tree diagram, click on Disk Management. Can you see the new volume there?

If you can see the volume, and it is unpartitioned and or unformatted, create a new partition using all the available space in the new drive (or as many partitions as you want), and format it as NTFS.

Hello,

Go to Start > Run > Type compmgmt.msc and hit enter.

Under Storage in the tree diagram, click on Disk Management. Can you see the new volume there?

If you can see the volume, and it is unpartitioned and or unformatted, create a new partition using all the available space in the new drive (or as many partitions as you want), and format it as NTFS.

To do what Alvin said, just locate the hard drive and right click on it and choose "Format". When done, you should be able to see your hard drive :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom