New GTX 285 strange overheat/lag spike issue

GPelleon

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I usually dont make my own posts on forums because usually I am able to find my own solution or some already solved thread. This time it is different though. I have this problem for almost a month now and still cant figure it out.

I recently installed a new GTX 285 BFG edition nVidia video card. Other than that I kept Intel 2 Duo with 2.66 Ghz and 4Gb ram. 620 Watt on source.

The problem is, most of my games (Arma II, Darksiders, once even League of legends) start to give me strange lags after about 20 minutes of playing. The lags are very specific: the screen freezes for up to 10 seconds, than goes black for 2 seconds and than everything is smooth again. This happens every minute or so. At this moment my cards temperature doesnt go above 75 degrees.

Some of more proccesor intensive games like GW2 however start lagging imediately, while my cards temprerature is at about 60. (CPU is always cool enough, around 45) It cant be caused by the processor itself though, because it used to run just fine with my old GTS 8600 512mb.

I already tried cleaning the card outside and inside, deleting all old drivers (also with sweepers and registry cleners in safe mode) and installing new ones. I checked all fans, tried benchmarks (they said performance is ok) and many utilities that supposedly helped others.

If anyone encountered this, pleace advise. I wasnt able to find a post that would match my description of lag and temperature precisely and the suggested solutions never helped me. Thank you in advance.

Petr Novák

Try using your old card and let us know if your getting the same problem. If you are then we know its not the graphics card, you could have accidentally harmed your computer when you were adding that part.

I just read that the max temps posted by Evga for that card is 105C, holy crap!

No, everything works fine with the old graphics card. It would seem that the drivers shut down when it reaches 75 degrees. I just had an error report when I turned off my external fans that sounded like some windows kernel something driver shut down... but why, GTW 285 is supposed to run hot. And I reinstalled all drivers and removed the old ones from both drives. I dont understand this. Could it be some kind of compatibility issue? My friend tells me it worked in his computer just fine.

good, we now know its your graphics card...

download furmark and run it for a little while, it does not take long to make your GPU hot, so I would sit there and watch the temperature go up, tell us what temps you get to before your computer turns off. If you get to 105C I would stop the benchmark because its not safe over those temps.

If you have a warranty on you graphics card I would send it back for a replacement.

good, we now know its your graphics card...

download furmark and run it for a little while, it does not take long to make your GPU hot, so I would sit there and watch the temperature go up, tell us what temps you get to before your computer turns off. If you get to 105C I would stop the benchmark because its not safe over those temps.

If you have a warranty on you graphics card I would send it back for a replacement.

He could try new thermal paste on the gpu's chip, provided he can take off the fan.
Plus it maybe a fan issue... :/

Just my thoughts before he rma.

Guys I dont really think its an overheat issue anymore. It has to have something with drivers. My driver crashes at 60 degrees already in some games. This has to be some kind of incompatibility with my Gigabyte p-35 motherboard. It may be wrong Nforce driver (but I dont know AT ALL which one fits my chipset) or some special bios setting that messes things up. Its not overheating. And I dont believe the card itself is damaged or anyhow not working. Its some kind of compatibility/settings/driver issue, im sure of it.

Guys I dont really think its an overheat issue anymore. It has to have something with drivers. My driver crashes at 60 degrees already in some games. This has to be some kind of incompatibility with my Gigabyte p-35 motherboard. It may be wrong Nforce driver (but I dont know AT ALL which one fits my chipset) or some special bios setting that messes things up. Its not overheating. And I dont believe the card itself is damaged or anyhow not working. Its some kind of compatibility/settings/driver issue, im sure of it.

Alright, uninstall your drivers now, reboot to reflect the changes.
When your back into windows search for 266.58 drivers on nvidias website.
Install which version you need x86 or x64bit, if everything works use it for now.
If it still crashes contact the manufacturer and nvidia technical support.

Back
Top Bottom