New graphics card/power problems. need help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XjiminyCrickettx

Solid State Member
OK, so i think my computer has just died or something I just need some help and hopefully I can save it.

I just upgraded my video card to an ATI Radeon X 1600 XT. I installed it and it worked fine for about 3 days. Then today when i tried to turn it on, it wouldnt start up, the green light on the tower of the computer would not turn on but i could hear the fan inside and could see an orange light turn on on the front.

I know the the video card did require me to plug in power to the card from my power supply. I thought it was fine untill this morning when my computer didnt turn on. Any ideas on whats wrong or how i can fix it?
its an AGP card.

Thanks,
Dave

it could be your power supply has been fried from the vid card pulling too much power or even wors eyour motherboard could be fried from the psu=powersupply unit. also check the power switch. see if your ram is fried also what what happens when you try to power on your pc any irregurar noises or smells and does any thing come on the screen when you boot it up

Im not very skilled at computer hardware stuff. so can you explain some kinds of tests to find out what is wrong.

If my Power supply was fried would the fan still start?

no irregular noises or smells. nothing on the screen. no signal to monitor.

If I understand what you are saying correctly.... Your computer won't turn on completely (fans running a bit)... Sounds like you have a good video card that is sucking the life out of it... I had to upgrade to a 500w power supply for my Radeon 1900gt (uses like 400w by it self)... Check your video card for information on power usuage and then look at power supply and see what it says... Do the math afterwords, might need to spend a few bucks for an upgraded power supply (not that much money really)....

OR

your computer is fried ;(

ure psu fan would probly still start but what is the wattage on youre psu. also u should look at ure mobo=motherboard for bulging leaking capicotors(sortove tall round things look like mini trash cans) and look for discoloration on the mobo and vid card

did u buy the pc or did u custom build it. if u bought it then u mostlikley got slapped with a low wattage psu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom