New Graphics Card - No VGA Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samwise89

Beta member
Yesterday i received the ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB PCI-E as a replacement graphics card for my 512mb X1950 which has had ridiculous over heating issues. I installed the card however upon booting up my pc the graphics card boots up (fans spinning etc) but the monitor does not pick up a VGA signal. Ive tried both ports on the card and neither seem to send a signal. So far i have tried:

1. Uninstalling previous Display drivers. No change.

2. Going into bios and switching to onboard VGA. The computer would do the same as with the new graphics card (no VGA Signal).

3. Disabling the onboard VGA. There was no option to disable any onboard VGA in display adapters nor on the BIOS.

I dont think its a problem with the graphics card as it is brand new and i dont think its a problem with the cables to my monitor as my old graphics card still works fine. I've searched countless forums to find an answer and it seems many others are having this problem.

Some seem to think its a PSU problem, but the specs ask for a minimum of 450w and i have a 500w PSU.

My specs are:

Hewlett-Packard Microtower
Mobo: MS-7297
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3800+
PSU: Jeantech 500w
Core speed: 2.4mhz
4GB DDR2 Ram (2 x 2gb)

I dont really want to try a BIOS upgrade as there really arent any available for this model and ive been told its a risky process that wont make that much of a difference anyway.

The specs for the graphics card can be found here:

http://www.amd.com/uk/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5770/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5770-system-requirements.aspx

I
really would like to know why it is not working due to the £100 spent on it. Even if i know it wont work i just need to know what's causing the problem. If anyone can help with this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

I'll bet money it's the Jeantech power supply, buy a reliable power supply from a trusted manufacturer.

firstly, are you sure your vga cable is plugged into your graphics card ? then into your monitor correctly?.

secondly: are you sure your power supply 4 pin is plugged into the motherboard correctly as this can have the same effect on getting no picture.

Its definitely plugged in correctly on both ends. Its a 6 pin power supply by the way. The x1950 is a 6 pin also so there was no problem connecting it.

okay then, i have no clue. what you could do if nobody can help you out as we cant really see whats happening ourself, is you could take your computer box to a computer shop and tell them your problem, and they will probably charge you around 50 dollars to see whats wrong and to fix and if its a part not working correctly then they will ring you up and tell you is it alright to fix it depending on what it is it may cost 50-150 dollars to fix it depending if you want a dodgey product or a medium to high performance product.

To be honest thats why i posted on here. I just spent 100 on a graphics card that should be working. I wont be spending anymore money until i cover every possible angle. No offense intended of course. But the more people who reply i think the better chance i have of narrowing down the problem :/

I've found that same problem every now and then when I do a rebuild and after everything is said and done, everything turns on but like you, I get no VGA signal coming from my 470GTX. Like yours, the fan was running and the cables were plugged in right. So the first time this happened I rebuilt the entire case to make sure I didn't miss anything, and after that was done the signal picked up and everything worked fine. It happened again recently only instead of rebuilding the whole thing again, I just unplugged the GPU from the socket, waiting a couple minutes, plugged it back into its socket, connected the power cables, and viola! So try just removing the card and reinserting it again. Sometimes that's all it takes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom