New Gaming PC Freezing... Could Use

Vyperpunk

Beta member
Hi guys. I just registered here to see if I can get some help with a custom PC I built. First and foremost, here are the specs:

AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo)

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB

ASUS GTX770 2GB DDR5

Corsair H100i

I would like to put it out there that I am completely new to this. This is my first custom built PC and I'm not entirely "computer savvy".

My issue is with games randomly freezing. The game that has been freezing on me lately is Metro 2033. As I said, it's random freezing. Not particularly when there is alot of action going on or during loading etc. Not sure if it helps, but I have these event logs ("Application Hangs") showing me the date and time of the crashes. The event ID is listed as 1002. Task Category 101. I'm not sure what any of this means, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to why I'm getting these random freezes.

I've also experienced freezing once while I was playing Crysis 2. This happened within the first 10 minutes of gameplay. What's strange is that I have played Borderlands 2 for hours on end without any issues.

What do you guys think?

My issue is with games randomly freezing. The game that has been freezing on me lately is Metro 2033. As I said, it's random freezing. Not particularly when there is alot of action going on or during loading etc. Not sure if it helps, but I have these event logs ("Application Hangs") showing me the date and time of the crashes. The event ID is listed as 1002. Task Category 101. I'm not sure what any of this means, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to why I'm getting these random freezes.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
I've also experienced freezing once while I was playing Crysis 2. This happened within the first 10 minutes of gameplay. What's strange is that I have played Borderlands 2 for hours on end without any issues.

How do you have metro 2033 setup by chance ?
Look into your configuration if you can and take a snapshot by pressing f12 in steam and bring it back here so we can see whats going on.

As of right now, I'm letting my Nvidia control panel automatically optimize my games. Attached is what it has it set at. Surprisingly, it's not using the highest settings. This is strange because I my other games like Skyrim, Crysis, and Borderlands 2 seem to be games that are more demanding with the graphics, but they are all optimized to their highest settings.:confused:

Attachments

• Nvidia_Settings_Metro_2033.jpg
    Nvidia_Settings_Metro_2033.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 7
Alrighty then, lets one try one of two things.
Metro 2033 Executable has stopped working - Steam Users' Forums
Read this thread and scroll down abit, follow X75TIGER75X directions and see "if" it might fix it.
If not, right click on the executable game and run under windows xp sp3 compatibility mode to jump start it.

If neither of those work, come and I'll see about asking someone else about your issue. :)
Well my freezing isn't during the startup of the games. It's during gameplay. I'll definitely give this a shot and hopefully it will work. I won't know til after a few hours of gameplay.

As of right now, I'm letting my Nvidia control panel automatically optimize my games. Attached is what it has it set at. Surprisingly, it's not using the highest settings. This is strange because I my other games like Skyrim, Crysis, and Borderlands 2 seem to be games that are more demanding with the graphics, but they are all optimized to their highest settings.:confused:

Metro is pretty brutal as far as raw power needed to pump it up. Nvidia's Geforce Experience sets the optimized settings for the game according to what hardware you have; basically it knows that if it maxes it out your framerates will take a nosedive.

What drivers are you using? I know several who had major issues with the 320 drivers; one had his 680 turned into a paperweight. Nvidia just put out a beta of their latest driver set so give them a go.
Drivers | GeForce

Metro is pretty brutal as far as raw power needed to pump it up. Nvidia's Geforce Experience sets the optimized settings for the game according to what hardware you have; basically it knows that if it maxes it out your framerates will take a nosedive.

What drivers are you using? I know several who had major issues with the 320 drivers; one had his 680 turned into a paperweight. Nvidia just put out a beta of their latest driver set so give them a go.
Drivers | GeForce
As of right now, the Nvidia driver is 320.49. I'm downloading the beta now.
I'm a little disappointed because I dropped about $2k on this setup hoping that I could easily run just about any game on full settings. I personally thought this was one hell of a setup...:neutral:

Yea, the latest drivers are the reason why I haven't touched BF3 in a while. There is shadow and graphic glitches everywhere and was afraid that will F' up my card.

Back
Top Bottom