New Computer Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobinator

Beta member
So I built a new computer for the first time with the help of a more computer savvy friend, and I'm having a couple issues. Firstly, when it powers on, it stays on for about 2 seconds, then powers off for about 4-5 seconds, then powers back on (Without intervention) and then stays on for as long as I have needed it to (About 20 minutes so far, see next problem). This... really shouldn't be happening and I can't figure out why.

My second issue is that the Fan on the Heatsink will not operate. The CPU starts off around 40 degrees Celsius and then slowly climbs. Twenty minutes later, it's sitting at 55 and still climbing, so I shut it off and try to reevaluate the problem. Oddly enough, the LED lights that came with the Heatsink (It's not the Stock Heatsink) are fully operational.

I have tried every Fan Power Port on the Motherboard. None of them have worked. My build is below, and I thank you in advance for your time >_< I knew I should of just had someone professional build it.

Processor: Intel i5 2500k 3.3G 6M
RAM: 2x 2 Gig Corsairs
DVD Drive: Standard Asus drive, nothing fancy here
SSD: 120 Gig GSkill Sniper Gaming Series
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 580
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V
Heatsink: Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67

Well for the cpu fan, you should use the connection on the motherboard labeled "cpu fan". This connection lets your motherboard know you have a fan hooked up to the cpu and won't over heat. This might be causing your initial reboot problem.

Find this connection, boot into your bios, in the Asus bios there is a section called "hardware monitor" and this will show fan speeds and temps. See what it says and we can go from there.

Bobinator said:
So I built a new computer for the first time with the help of a more computer savvy friend, and I'm having a couple issues. Firstly, when it powers on, it stays on for about 2 seconds, then powers off for about 4-5 seconds, then powers back on (Without intervention) and then stays on for as long as I have needed it to (About 20 minutes so far, see next problem). This... really shouldn't be happening and I can't figure out why.

This is normal, it's programed into the system bios of some motherboards. It's a stability feature (warm-up) for overclockers and you have a enthusiast or overclocking motherboard.

Bobinator said:
My second issue is that the Fan on the Heatsink will not operate. The CPU starts off around 40 degrees Celsius and then slowly climbs. Twenty minutes later, it's sitting at 55 and still climbing, so I shut it off and try to reevaluate the problem. Oddly enough, the LED lights that came with the Heatsink (It's not the Stock Heatsink) are fully operational.

I have tried every Fan Power Port on the Motherboard. None of them have worked. My build is below, and I thank you in advance for your time >_< I knew I should of just had someone professional build it.

Are you using the fan controller that came with the heatsink? Make sure it's turned to high and not low or off. Look in your system bios for the Smart Fan controls and make sure the fans are set to 100%. Make sure nothing is touching or keeping the fan blades from turning. You may just need a new fan, sometimes they just don't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom