New computer new problems

Ac3rstudios

Beta member
so my specs are located under my information i do believe (tis my first time posting on the or any forum so i hope to find this one helpful) if not ill post my info below

AMD-6200 AM3+ 3.8ghz turbo CPU with EVO 212 Hpyer cool (only using one fan)
8gigs ADATA gaming series RAM and 8GIG corsair dominator RAM 2000+mghz
2x240gig SSD's OCZ
500gig USB 3.0 HDD
XFX Radeon 7950
cougar SX 850 watt PSU
5x 120mm fans 2x 200mm
fatal1ty 990FX mobo
LG blue ray player and LG DVD/R drive

Well its been running ultra smooth for about 2 weeks now until i upgraded the ram and put my USB 3.0 hard drive in the case.

Now this may be ridiculous but i think that my 3.0 HDD may be sending off some sort of frequencies that may be causing my computer to malfunction and lock up almost causing my computer to slow to nothing. i only say this because i had this drive located next to my wireless keyboard USB device on my of my case and it was causing communication issues with the keyboard.. Now i have it neatly tucked inside my case next to the power supply. And i notice its random when this "major slowing down/locking up" is when i am 1: using chrome and listening to anything on the HDD and will only freeze up when attempting to reopen a window after i close one quickly (which makes zero sense to me) 2: when i'm trying to do anything with the HDD it sometimes just slows the entire system down.. and if i unplug the device it still shows up on my computer settings until i restart..

I'm more or less trying to rule out the RAM being the issue because these are all very high grade components.

just curious if the HDD is going to damage my PC in any way and why in the world a high bandwidth 3.0 device would cause any issues besides maybe poor drivers? but that still doesn't explain the freezing up..

Aalso i notice a small "click" when something is acting weird in my computer which i have no mechanical parts besides fans moving in this machine and my CD drives but those would have no reason to be active during the times i hear these sounds. its almost like an electrical click but all my wiring and stuff is just fine i've quadruple checked and re-wired this PC.. maybe i'm just not used to the issues of a high end computer or there is a serious problem that someone can enlighten me about??

thanks i hope to get some positive feedback! :cool:

Last edited:
I did a little reading on usb 3 interference and almost everything talked about the interference with 2.4GHz and modems and wireless mice and keyboard. But i saw nothing about other interference. One article talked about shielding. You might try to read up on what you could shield the drive with and give it a try. Sorry that my best shot. Never saw a problem like this one before. I would take the drive out of the case till i found out what the problem was. At least that way you will be able to rule out the memory.

Well i've unplugged the drive and clocked my RAM down to 1600 and that seems to have balanced out my system.. i think i may just return this device mainly because i cant even use it as a backup device due to the freezing.. this is by far to oddest thing i have ever ran into in my computer career.

Back
Top Bottom