New computer issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compguys

Solid State Member
Hello all, I have a slight problem with a brand new system I built. I had everything up and running perfectly 3 days after I got all parts and installed. Well, I went to plug in a headset for gaming and when I did my system completely shut down on me. I heard no noises or popping sounds, it just went dead. The system had been running constantly for almost 25 hours when this did this. Are there any suggestions here that you can think of. I have support tickets in with the motherboard and case manufacturers.

I am running a system with the following.
XfX NForce Nvidia 780I sli with tri sli
socket 775 intel core 2 duo 3.0 ghz
2 sticks of 2 gig OCZ sli ready memory
2 geforce 7600 gts video cards in sli
an Antec 650 blue power supply(650 watt)
And an Antec nine hundred case.
I am also running with windows vista 32bit
I have tried 2 different power supplies, one of which I took out of another working system to test with. I talked to antec and they had me switch the power and reset switches to see if it was a bad power switch, but it's not. The front usb ports on the case work still tho. I have no power what soever coming from the board except for one light when I apply power to it. No fans work, and none of the lights work. Are there any suggestions here? XFX seems to be taking their time in replying to my support ticket.

Thank you to anyone who can supply some info.

First of all make sure that the headset is completely unpluged from the machine lol if this isn't obvious enough.

Second of all I would test the RAM. Try just one stick in slot one, and if that doesn't work try the other stick in slot one. RAM is always the first thing that I test as it can create strange problems when a stick dies. Are there any system beeps that you get when the pc is turned on?

Leave the side of the case open and turn on the computer. Are fans running? Harddrive activity? Check all power cables running to the motherboard make sure they are tightly fitted.

I would also take one video card out and just run the one just whilst in testing. Wouldn't hurt to do a CMOS reset either.

First of all I think I already stated that I had done all of this in my first post. Second, There is absolutely no sound or even fans running when I try to power on my system. I have tried two different power supplies and get the same results. I've built systems before, I'm just trying to sort out what the cause of this complete power shutdown is from. I have tested both power supplies and they are good. I've tried the ram and they do nothing. I get no beeps at all from the case. Yes, the headset was unplugged the instant the system shutdown. I have also tried the cmos reset and nothing.

First, I would takethe mobo and power supply out of the case and set on a wooden table or anti static mat and turn it on. This would rule out the possibility that any other piece of hardware or case(this same thing happenend to me turned out it was grounding out in the case) is causing a short. If no lights or fans turn on then I would probably say the board is toast.

Second, I would lose the attitude or you won't get much help here. :)

Yes i agree with Wicked. Please lose the attitude. No need to get snippy.

Did you try to unplug all components but the mobo, PSU, vidoe card and hard drives and test it?

Sorry bout the attitude, just this was really irritating me.

I unplugged everything and took it out of the case. I had nothing but the MB, and processor plugged in to it. I tried both power supplies I have and could still not get power to anything. I even tried adding parts back in and nothing. I RMA'd it through newegg today, so hopefully the new one will work. I now know not to plug in a headset on this board....at least for now.

Also, thank you all for the info and help.

Hey it is undertsandable to get frustrated. We just ask that you try and stay calm when posting. But you understand and apologized. No harm no foul. :D

Sorry that it was a bad mobo. Hopefully the next one will be better for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom