shman

Solid State Member
I have the following
Intel Desktop Board D945PLNML Motherboard
Intel PD 915 2.80GHz
Patriot Signature 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory -
LG GH22NS50 DVD Writer OEM
Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B 250GB Serial ATA Hard Dr

and when I install the HD in the MB and start the computer all that comes up is the Intel logo and tells me to press F2 to enter BIOS. I press F2 and nothing happens. The only way I can get in the BIOS is to unplug the Hard Drive. Does any one have any ideas as to what the problem?

Is the hard drive IDE or SATA? Do you have the master/slave jumper set correctly? Do you have it in the correct IDE channel on the mother board?

Now for explination of the terms used.

ide-ribbon.jpg

That is an IDE cable. It is flat and thin.

sata15pin.jpg

That is SATA. For a side by side check here:

What is SATA - Serial ATA Information Page

dm-08-3b.jpg

The jumper is hte blue thing. Check the writing on the hard drive to know if you have it set to master or slave.

IDEConnectors.jpg

IDE Channels on the mother board. If you look real close on the right side ine small white letters. You will see that the top is labeled IDE1 and the bottom is labeled IDE2. If this is your only hard drive, you should have it set to the top on IDE channel 1.

but would that stop him from getting into the bios at all? seems like something else is suspect here. not shooting holes through either of your ideas, but just my observation. *to poster* please don't worry I'm just throwing this as an idea *to Mak213* could it be his IDE controller or SATA controller?

This is a SATA Drive. I put an old 20GB Maxtor Hd IDE in and it is recognized in the BIOS as Is the Sata DVD.

Reset cmos.

try a different sata port.
try a different sat cable.

A bit strange though even if the drive is jacked you should still be able to get into bios.

I wanted to make sure that the drives were setup properly first. As not being setup properly for an IDE connection will stop you from doing anything, including getting to your BIOS.

Since it is SATA that isnt the issue. I would do what Hefe said.

I've tried switching the DVD Drive with the SATA Hd and still no go. When the sata drive is hooked up I can't get into the BIOS. When I undo the SATA drive and just use the IDE drive I get into the BIOs. I'm pretty close to trashing the MB and using an AMD setup. Thanks for you help

I finally got it to recognize the Sata drive and started to load the operating system whichis XP. It loaded all the drivers and startedto load windows when the blue screen came up and said "we have encontered an error and what to do if its the first time. I couldn't go to any of the recommended solutions because there is no operating systen currently installed on the HD. At the bottom the following: "Stop OX0000007E(OX0000005,OXF74960BF,OXF8E8208,OXF78E7F08

PCI SYS Address F749COBF base at F7495000
Date Stamp 3b7d855c"
Is this an indication that it is the VGA Card. There is no on board video. MY Video Card Is: ATI VGA Powercolor: AX4650 512MB.

Does any have any ideas on this. Any help is appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom