New Computer is having odd bios erase by ide hard drive or cd-rom ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
To make a long story short, windows 7 had wanted to install it's normal updates for my mothers pc.
It had some some other hardware updates it wanted to do, I went to bed at 12:15am.
I woke up windows crashed and I rebooted and strangely the bios was over written and erased.
My mothers MSI mobo wanted a bios reflash in order to boot up.
I did so and everything worked fine until windows 7 loaded up all programs 7 minutes later it froze.
Again the same process happened, I erased the hdd contents using my eee netbook and formatted it with NTFS.

Finally even without anything on the hard drive it locked bios again I restart the pc and I am back to **** again....
Twenty minutes ago the system is working great without the hdd, bios did say briefly that it had a error with DQ4 failure or IRQ failure it said to reset the pc.
I moved the ram into another spot with no errors and I am about to replace the IDE cable.

Can anyone tell me what could be the problem before I contact MSI on monday afternoon for a RMA return ?

___________________________________________________________________________________
EDIT:

I think I may know what the problems is while my motherboard is requesting a bios reflash I get "3" short beeps and then a long beep and a reboot with the same problem.
Could my old Dynex 400 watt be getting ready to give way ?
I read a little bit of what mike myers book said and the comptia A+ site says about 3 short beeps:

Beeps Meaning
Steady, short beeps Power supply may be bad
Long continuous beep tone Memory failure
Steady, long beeps Power supply bad
No beep Power supply bad, system not plugged in, or power not turned on

The thing about the micheal myers books is that it is very, generalized, especially when he talks of beeps, does her MSI motherboard have the D-LED readout bracket? That can be very helpful in diagnosing the motherboard.

Anyways, according to MSI's website, which they use this beepcode layout for almost all the motherboards that they manufacture.
"1 long, 3 short Conventional/Extended memory failure"

Here is the MSI site that I got the information, needed that once before for my self as all my motherboards have been MSI.
MSI Computer Corp. - Support

Just remember, it could be RAM, or her memory controller, or any combo of the two, though, I don't see why it would be wiping out her BIOS.....

EDIT: Here is another site which lists a large majority of possible beep codes and there respective BIOS type, being Award/AMI/NEC/Pheonix.
http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=86906.0

Thanks corresive for your help, but the technician at MSI said the BIOS block on the motherboard had became corrupted after what I stated to him what I said here.
He said the beeps I heard wasn't necessarily meaning it was the ram he said my bios had been corrupted after 8 months of use and the last bios request the mobo wanted had done it in for good.
I just mailed off my mothers motherboard and they will replace the whole motherboard with a new one.
As good as the motherboard was it did have it's problem even upon first using it had a checksum error all the time.
It will be about 7 days before I get it back it should arrive in california by thursday morning.

Thanks for your help corresive.

The checksum error is usually an indication of a bad bios I think, I have two really old MSI motherboards that throw that error, they can't be flashed, they just retain the old BIOS revision after it restarts, though the flash procedure always works out. The joys old old technology. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom