New Comp Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaXoR

Solid State Member
So I have everything connected, turn on the power strip, and turn on the power supply. I get LED lights on the mobo like normal, and the standby power LED on the front of the case. But when I proceed to turn on the computer by pressing the power button, the fans and stuff inside come to life for a split second, then die, and it just stays off. I tried unplugging stuff one at a time to see if I didn't have enough power but this had no effect.

It's a 650W PSU, and the things being powered are:

DVD Drive (SATA)
HDD (SATA)
GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 (2 x PCI-E, 6-pin)
2 case fans (via a 4-pin each)
Motherboard (24-pin main connector, and an 8-pin for the 12V)
Heatsink fan (4-pin through the mobo)
Core 2 Duo
4GB (2x2GB) OCZ hi-perf ram

Any help would be appreciated.

Plenty of power unfortunately points at the usual suspect namely a board that arrived DOA! It shuts right off in just a second or two while the fans and lights blink at you. That's the unfortunate facts on rejects you end up returning for a replacement or another model.

You could have a 450w supply in and still see enough power to run the build there for seeing the basics covered. Another thing to try is unplugging the main and the 8pin cpu feed and lightly pressing those back in until the main is all the down and the retainers click on the 8pin in case of loose contact.

Plenty of power unfortunately points at the usual suspect namely a board that arrived DOA! It shuts right off in just a second or two while the fans and lights blink at you. That's the unfortunate facts on rejects you end up returning for a replacement or another model.

You could have a 450w supply in and still see enough power to run the build there for seeing the basics covered. Another thing to try is unplugging the main and the 8pin cpu feed and lightly pressing those back in until the main is all the down and the retainers click on the 8pin in case of loose contact.

The fans aren't even on for a second, it's just an instantaneous on then off, and then they just slow down and stop. Also, the mobo lights stay solid, no blinking. I'll try reseating the power connections and get back to you.

oldskool said:
Try reseating your CPU.

I'll try it and get back to you.

Try a spare Power supply if you have one. Could be an iffy PSU. Could also try a different graphics card (or onboard if your board has it), instead of the GTX 260. If it turns on then...then you'll know you don't have enough power for some reason.

The GTX was one of the things I was unplugging at first to see if it was hogging too much power, but it still wouldn't power up.

I tried unplugging everything except the power connections for the mobo (24-pin main and 8-pin for cpu) and same effect.

I also re-seated the ram, and tried with only 1 stick, still nothing.

Also something I'm not entirely sure on... My motherboard manual says it takes both of those connections, the 24-pin as a main power connector and the 8-pin as the power for the cpu. I was looking for an 8-pin from my power supply and the only thing I could find was a single cord that split into 2 square 4-pin connectors at the end. While this still fit the 8-pin socket, 2 of the shapes of the holes on one of the 4-pin squares were shaped differently than what was on the socket (you know how some of the connector holes are square but others have like diagonals where the top corners are?) I'm not sure if this means anything.

Another thing I read somewhere is that you need a certain number of 12V rails from the PSU in order for it to work. Is there any way I can check this?

Thanks.

The cpu power has to be plugged in. The idea was to replug the plug or plugs back in lightly to see if there was any loose contact inside. But it sounds like you need an adapter if the board needs all 8pins to convert two 4pin molex plugs to the 8pin setup. 12V Molex to 8pin P8 Adapter (AD202): CrazyPC Computers

He's not describing molex connectors. He has 2x4-pin 12v (non-molex).

OP: what brand/model are your components? (specifically motherboard and PSU).

He's not describing molex connectors. He has 2x4-pin 12v (non-molex).

OP: what brand/model are your components? (specifically motherboard and PSU).

It sounds like he went for the wrong supply for the board or simply is using an older style without the P8 connector needed. The adapter should still work without problems with two molex plugs.

One of the 4-pin will work in place of the 8pin. Not totally necessary to have the full 8pin. 4-pin only goes in 1 way in the 8-pin layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom