New comp doesnt turn on - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default New comp doesnt turn on

Hi guys, got a problem with my new comp , and needs some help

I decided to update my system and bought a comp yesterday that I then assembled. After assembling I tried to put it on, but instead got only a small electric kind of sound for a second, and then nothing happened.
The mb green led is green all the time, so dont think its anything to do with electricity.

Any ideas?

Im thinking that maybe power supply? But its a long shot, since it worked fine with my old comp

specs::::::::::

quad core 6600//, 1gb dd2 667 / asus a5v, // Geforce 7950GT // Antec Smartpower 400W / 450W (not sure which one)

Old 08-21-2007, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: New comp doesnt turn on

Make sure all the power connections are tight and secure. Check that the front panel wires, are connected properly, to the front panel header, especially the power switch wire.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 08-21-2007, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to phucng_10 Send a message via Yahoo to phucng_10

Always look at your manual when you build the computer. Especially the part where the power switch and such for the front panels are at. Double check all wires especially that 24 pin power connector and the 4 or 8 pin CPU power connector.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

update:
Just came from work and tried to figure out the problem from fresh.

Its definately not the pins or something I forgot to connect / power.

I removed the 4 pin cpu power to check what happends: The cpu fan starts spinning as well as the other fans on the comp, but the motherboard wont start. (I have to hold the power button for them to spin) Maybe the problem is weak ps? or maybe the mob is broken?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Your power supply, should have enough amps for that system. Try disconnecting the power supply, from the outlet, and turn off the power supply. Wait a few minutes, and re-connect and power up again.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 08-22-2007, 10:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If you plugged in the front panel wires incorrectly it wont start. I accidentally swapped my reset/power buttons yesterday when i was putting my board back in and had the same issue. Make sure that all of your front panel wires are correct.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i disconnected everything and assembled the mob outside of the case, only connecting the antec to the mob. Still same thing - when I put power on - the led in mob is green, and when I push start on the case, the fan moves for a sec, and then just stops. - Nothing else. Im trying to buy a new power in a few hours, maybe that will help.

ps. Its not the pinns , because the mob gets the fan signal when I push the reset button.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Try jumping the power supply, and connect just the case fans.

To jump the power supply, disconnect it from the components, and just connect the fans. Take a paper clip, and bend it, into a U shape. Next, stick one end into the green pin or wire of the 24-pin main power connector. Then stick the other end into any black pin or wire, on the main power connector. Then turn on the power supply, to see if the fans spin. If they don't, something is wrong with the power supply.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

just came home after buying a new power supply - didnt help

nothing left exept that I may have ****ed up big time somewhere - which I doubt- or the mob is broken. Have to return it tomorrow for a new one, hope it will WorK.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

it might be the mobo, that happened to me when i put too much thermal grease on my brand new e4400 2 weeks an RMA and lots of money later its still being worked on cause i was too frustrated to deal with it. lolz.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Closed Thread