New build won't POST... couple quesitons - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 04:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
dkh
Newb Techie

Default New build won't POST... couple quesitons

New build specs:

MSI P6N sli Platinum
Core 2 Duo E6600
G. Skill 1gb

Using video card from last build - XFX 7600 something...
Using PSU from last build - Antec Smartpower 500w

Tried using different stick of RAM
Tried using different SATA HDD
Tried pressing CMOS button
Tried removing CMOS battery for 10 minutes

When I turn on PSU switch, the orange LED light near the CMOS button illuminates

When I press power switch at front of case, Processor fan turns on, HDD spins, CDROM light comes on, second green LED on Mobo illuminates, no signal to monitor

Only bare necessities installed: Keyboard, Mobo, Proc, 1 stick Ram, GPU, CDrom, floppy drive, SATA HDD

I've tried unplugging and plugging back in connections... I must have turned it on 50 times already. No POST at all.

Questions:
Do I need a 8-pin processor power connector instead of the 4-pin my PSU comes with? The MSI manual shows a 8-pin connector being plugged in to the mobo during the graphical instructions on connecting everything, however, 4 of the 8 holes are covered with peice of plastic. I assumed it was OK to use the 4-pin connector because of this.

Also, which Mobo SATA connection should I use for a single SATA HDD? The MSI manual doesn't say, so I assumed it was SATA1.

Thanks for any help you can provide, guys.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to advancedgeek Send a message via MSN to advancedgeek Send a message via Yahoo to advancedgeek
Default Re: New build won't POST... couple quesitons

try to see if the internal video works, if not then something is wrong with your monitor, ram, or cpu, or the whole motherboard. I reccomend you to try using the on board graphics then try your graphics card.

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6320 @variable rates (will fix my fan problem soon and overclock high again)
HSF: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme & Antec Tricool 120mm fan
PSU: Delta Serverpower 550W
HD: Seagate 400GB ST340032AS & Excelstor 80GB (both SATA)
Case: don't know what case it is but it is very crappy
Optical Drive: Lite-on 16X DVD+&- RW DL (died) using a CD-ROM drive until I get a new blu ray burner or whatever i can get

http://web26.hopto.org:443/

**been afk from tech-forums for a while so this is the updates specs**
Old 06-29-2007, 05:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
dkh
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by advancedgeek View Post
try to see if the internal video works, if not then something is wrong with your monitor, ram, or cpu, or the whole motherboard. I reccomend you to try using the on board graphics then try your graphics card.

How do I do that?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
dkh
Newb Techie

C'mon guys... doesn't anyone have any answers or suggestions for me? I'm getting pretty frustrated with this thing.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

simply remove the video card that you have, leaving everything else intact. The motherboard's video should kick in automatically.

As for troubleshooting, and forgive me if this is too simplified an answer, I always put everything in place, then start removing components one by one with an attempted start-up. Once you are pared back to the basics (mobo, cpu, ram then you should hear POST beeps (or see a code right on the mobo if it is available) indicating that that piece is missing. I will usually remove in this sequence - miscellaneous PCI cards>>>video card>>>cd rom(s)/ a: drive one by one>>>hard drive(s) one by one with drive with OS on it as last one disconnected>>>RAM

Going through this process, I have actually discovered a few times that I didn't have some cables connected. Other times, it could be they are not connected properly.

Once my computer boots up or gives me a POST beep, then I know that the last component I removed was the problem. If you get down to the mobo and processor and you're still not getting any beeps or codes, you may have problems, especially if the fan runs on your power supply when you attempt to boot. It may be an issue with the mobo or processor.

Again, sorry if this is something you already do, but I can never be sure about how much somebody knows about this stuff.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
I know <html>, do you?

Send a message via AIM to SYL\X/3K Send a message via Yahoo to SYL\X/3K

POST troubleshooting steps.

.....:::::POST Troubleshooting Steps.___.My Rig.___.Memory Test:::::.....
Old 06-29-2007, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
dkh
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewildman50 View Post
simply remove the video card that you have, leaving everything else intact. The motherboard's video should kick in automatically.

As for troubleshooting, and forgive me if this is too simplified an answer, I always put everything in place, then start removing components one by one with an attempted start-up. Once you are pared back to the basics (mobo, cpu, ram then you should hear POST beeps (or see a code right on the mobo if it is available) indicating that that piece is missing. I will usually remove in this sequence - miscellaneous PCI cards>>>video card>>>cd rom(s)/ a: drive one by one>>>hard drive(s) one by one with drive with OS on it as last one disconnected>>>RAM

Going through this process, I have actually discovered a few times that I didn't have some cables connected. Other times, it could be they are not connected properly.

Once my computer boots up or gives me a POST beep, then I know that the last component I removed was the problem. If you get down to the mobo and processor and you're still not getting any beeps or codes, you may have problems, especially if the fan runs on your power supply when you attempt to boot. It may be an issue with the mobo or processor.

Again, sorry if this is something you already do, but I can never be sure about how much somebody knows about this stuff.

Maybe I'm missing something... If I disconnect my video card, where do I plug my monitor in to? How will I know it is POSTing if I don't have my monitor hooked up to it?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
I know <html>, do you?

Send a message via AIM to SYL\X/3K Send a message via Yahoo to SYL\X/3K

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkh View Post
Maybe I'm missing something... If I disconnect my video card, where do I plug my monitor in to? How will I know it is POSTing if I don't have my monitor hooked up to it?
thats why previously was asked if you have a onboard video card! (video card thats built in the moberboard)

.....:::::POST Troubleshooting Steps.___.My Rig.___.Memory Test:::::.....
Old 06-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkh View Post
well, it's interesting you say that. If there is no monitor port coming out of your motherboard through the back of your PC, then your mobo doesn't have onboard video, in which case you would need to have a confirmed working video card to determine if that's the problem. (I just checked the specs for you mobo and it looks like you don't have onboard video).

You may need to either check your card out on another computer or check someone else's card out on yours.

Before you do that, go through the post troubleshooting process.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Custom User Title

try plugging in your monitor cable into the other dvi or vga connector on the video card

HII B1GAPL!!!

Closed Thread