New Build, Wont Post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

u4ic_fln

Baseband Member
So I'm building a new computer for my girlfriend since her PSU fried and killed her last computer. Here is the new build:

MB: ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600
Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit
Video Card: EVGA 512-P3-N873-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0

As far as I know its all hooked up properly, but when I plug it in and turn it on, It powers on for about 4-5 seconds, and proceeds to turn itself off. After about 3 more seconds, it automatically turns itself on again, and remains stuck there. There is no post, or Bios. The monitor just remains black (except for the analog/digital check that occurs).

Edit: Now it has stopped turning itself off and then on again, and just remains in the suspended state with nothing happening. If the hard drives were fried when her PSU blew up, it should still post and we should still be able to access the BIOS right?

What is going on?

Remove the hard drive. See if it will post and allow access to the BIOS then.

Negative. I removed the HD and still, nothing is happening.

Although (before I removed the HD as well as after) it has gone back to shutting itself off after I have turned it on, then re-powering itself on again and finally settling down in the nothing happening state.

Edit: Again, everything looks like its hooked up properly, all fans turn on (including the Video Card) the front panel lights up, just not sure where it is getting stuck. =(

Got it from Newegg.com

PSU: Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W ATX12V / EPS12V

Note: The 24-pin connector is hooked up. And usually there is just a 4 pin connector near the top of the motherboard (above the CPU). But on this MB there was an 8 pin connector. Should I hook up the 4-pin or 8-pin plug?

Ok. I initially had the 8-pin connector hooked up, and i switched to the 4-pin connector. But nothing changed. Same power-down after 5 seconds then re-power up to the nothing happening state.

Edit: Ive switched back to the 8-pin connector, and there is still no difference.

BTW, I really appreciate you responding so quickly. Im in a bit of a panic mode cause I really wanted to get this up and running for my girlfriend before the weekend.

Are there any other devices you took from the old PC? Have you tried with just the bare minimal stuff connecteed?

Hard Drive, Video card, mouse and keyboard

Maybe it is another component that is causing the conflict.

The only old pieces from my old computer are the 2 Hard Drives (which currently are not connected), the case, and the DVD drive.

Edit: I did noticed that the Video Card has two 6-pin PCI-E inputs for power connectors. I have both of them plugged in at the moment. This Video card is a beast. Ive never seen one this big before.

i assume you've reset the bios. and try plugging in the 8pin cpu and only plugging in the 20 pin atx instead of 24 pin that's how my zalmin psu is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom