Thresh25

Daemon Poster
Hi all, I just built a PC using the following
1) gigabyte Altus z370 ultra gaming WiFi
2) i7 8700k
3) Samsung nvme SSD
4) 16gb Corsair vengeance 2400mhz
5) nvidia RTX 2070

I tried to turn on the new pc and it lights up but after the fans run for a few moments and all the lights are on it dies. In the bottom right of the motherboard a red right flashes back and forth between the cpu and dram and then finally stops on the dram for maybe 20 seconds and then the computer cuts off. It turns back on and repeatedly does the same thing.

I tried 2 and 4 with the memory, 1 and 2, and just 1. Is it the processor? Please help! I am in desperate need.

Thanks in advance.

A shorted out motherboard sounds like a common issue.
To determine, pull out the motherboard leaving one stick of memory, cpu/fan and gpu if necessary on the board. place the board on a non-conductive surface and re-connect the power supply 24 and 4/8 pin connectors. Connect your mouse, keyboard and monitor.
touch the pwr pins momentarily with a small screwdriver edge on the front panel header on the board to get it to boot up. The board should post (Power On Self Test) and may possibly go into the bios settings

If this happens then check your case for all the stand-offs to be in their proper places on the motherboard plate inside the case, also check the I/O shield to be sure something (those finger looking things) on it is not getting into one of the ports on the motherboard

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I decided to take it into my local PC store, and according to the guy, the two far left RAM slots are no good. He said he can get the PC to boot using the two far right RAM slots, but doing it this way they won't be dual channel.

Honestly, the guy did not seem super knowledgeable. Would there be any reason those two slots wouldn't work initially but could theoretically be fixed? Or do I need to make the two hour drive back to microcenter to swap it out?

Thanks again.

You need to return it because someday you might want to use those 2 ram slots and if they are not working your really going to miss them
If the ram slots are bad, what else is going to be wrong on that board?

So I successfully installed windows, but now my computer doesn't see my CD/DVD drive in windows to install my motherboard drivers. Any one know how to fix this?

I have a very old "Super Writemaster SpeedPlus" and I tried to google the drivers but couldn't find any.

Thanks again

Is the drive recognized in your bios? If it is then try the drive in a different pc, if it does not work then it's probably doa. Your Windows should have a native driver already, so you should not have to install a driver for your dvd drive. You can (and should) download the latest drivers directly from your motherboard manufacture
Did you mean:
Z370 AORUS ULTRA GAMING WIFI (rev. 1.0)
You can download them here:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-WIFI-rev-10#support-dl-driver

Last edited:
Far left DIMMs on the z370 Asus boards being dead out of the box is a common issue. The board is faulty and needs to be replaced. Don't try to use it, there will be a ton more issues that cause random blue screens down the road.

Edit: Saw Altus and assumed Asus. Same thing still applies though.

Back
Top Bottom