New Build Stopped Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCSmithrs

Beta member
About four weeks ago I built my first PC. The thing ran excellent with no lock-ups, error messages, or crashes (running xp pro S3 x86). When I came back from vacation, I tried to boot up my pc and it would start up but then instantly turn off. I tested all parts and I found that when I remove both memory sticks, the computer starts up fine. How could two memory sticks go bad at the same time or did I fry them somehow?? Or are my mobo's DIMM slots bad?? Nothing is overclocked except for my CPU and I have excellent cooling. The memory is known to be compatible with my mobo. Any suggestions or ways to trouble shoot. I do not have a computer that has DDR2 800 Dimm slots so I cannot swap parts.

Specs:
2x 1gig Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX
AMD Athlon 64x2 Brisbane 5000+ oced to 3.0ghz
MOBO: Abit AN-M2HD
2x 640gig WD Blue Cavier Sata 3.0 HDs RAID 0
Zalman CPS9500 AM2 HSF
EVGA Nvidia 8800GT 512 GPU
Rosewill 500watt PSU
NZXT Lexa Blackline Case
Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs Sound Card
Pioneer 215D DVD Drive Sata 2

Did you OC your RAM with your CPU? I had 3 of my 4 Corsair Dominator C5D's die on me at the exact same time. Supposedly because I had them set to 2.25V when they were only rated for 2.2V. It was the same situation... Got up in the morning, turned my computer on and it wouldn't pass the POST. So booted with one stick in and it wouldn't do anything. Finally the last stick I tried worked... And then it died a week later.

I use Patriot Extreme now and haven't had a problem since. Rated for 2.2V and I have had them at 2.4V for about a year. Guess I should probably change my sig eh?

I agree with the post above..go into your bios and see what your voltages are for your ram and then check it against the proper voltage range. Your memory and cpu were probably linked and if your bios setting for voltages were left on auto, as you increased your cpu fsb it would have increased the voltage as well. I overclocked my rig as well and over voltaged the ram by .1 volts..I never trust my bios to monitor and changes voltages for me, I am exp. enough to change them on my own. See if your mobo will be compatible with G.Skill ram, that is what I use and you can OC that stuff like there is no tommorrow. Pick up 4 gigs if you can the stuff rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom