New build problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

McHopsky

In Runtime
This is a question of compatibility versus faulty components...

I installed everything to begin.. 4 HDs, 2 optical drives, 2 PCI cards and one PCIe video card along with the specs below. Once turned on, the first thing I notice is the optical drives arent working, no lights and wont open, and then I notice there is no picture on the monitor. Motherboard has power, CPU heatsink is running well, and it seems that all of the PCI cards and PCIe atleast have power, but no monitor picture, no beeps, no nothing. Mouse and keyboard never light up.

After doing some standard checks and the computer still not giving me any signs of booting, I disconnect everything besides 1 stick of DDR2 RAM, the mobo, CPU and the graphics card. Turn back on, nothing has changed. No picture on monitor.

I then put a differant video card into the PCIe, no differance. I then tried the card in another PC, and the card works perfectly.

Using my logic, it's has to be a problem with either the CPU or the motherboard, maybe the RAM. I'm positive the CPU installation went smoothly as I've done it a hundred times and the heatsink installation seemed to go OK. I also researched and did a ton of homework about this build, so everything should be compatible.

Now I need your expertise, I've run out of ideas. Below are my specs. Any ideas? Think mobo is faulty?

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors

Ram: Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Newegg.com - Suggested Products

Video Card: XFX PVT98FYDBU GeForce 9800 GTX 512mg PCIe x16
Newegg.com - XFX PVT98FYDBU GeForce 9800 GTX Black Edition 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC, CCC - Power Supplies

I've got a Zalman 9500 heatsink on the CPU, if that matters.

Update: when I unplug the optical drive from the IDE and restart, the drive gets power and is functional.. when plugged into the IDE, wont even open.

Hello,

If the drives are disconnected from teh Mobo and then work but when connected they do not i would say that there could be a issue with that IDE channel on the mobo.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom