New build power-up issue. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default New build power-up issue.

Hi all, I just finished assembling my first computer and when I went to turn it on, it powers on for maybe 2 seconds and I hear all the fans just begin to whir on, then it beeps and auto-shuts off. The light on the mobo remains on and I've checked all the power connections multiple times and everything seems to be in the right places.

Parts:
Antec Basiq BP500U 500W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
AMD Phenom X3 8750 Black Edition Toliman 2.4GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Triple-Core Processor Model HD875ZWCGHBOX - Retail

I'll list out the rest of what I bought if it's necessary but apart from RAM this is all I'm running to isolate the issue. Any help with what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer
Default Re: New build power-up issue.

have you read the directions for the motherboard properly?

I had trouble with my build at first because it had really really picky instructions on how to install the RAM for the first boot :|

so make sure stuff like that is taken care of..if that's all good

try different RAM ( isolate if it's a RAM issue )

what video card are you using?

Core i7 920 @ 3.0Ghz
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
6gb G.Skill 1600mhz/9-9-9-24
Corsair 750XT
EVGA GTX 260---216core
WD 640gb
14590 3dmarks @ stock
Old 01-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've read the motherboard manual basically back to front in trying to figure this out and it doesn't specify on RAM placement. I've tried it with 2 stick in varying positions and with 1 stick in the obvious 1st position, no difference. And for right now I haven't even installed the HD5770 I have until I disable the on-board HD4200.

I also just double checked on the grounding for the motherboard and nothing, that shouldn't be, is touching it.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anexthesis View Post
I've read the motherboard manual basically back to front in trying to figure this out and it doesn't specify on RAM placement. I've tried it with 2 stick in varying positions and with 1 stick in the obvious 1st position, no difference. And for right now I haven't even installed the HD5770 I have until I disable the on-board HD4200.

I also just double checked on the grounding for the motherboard and nothing, that shouldn't be, is touching it.
Make sure the standoffs are tightened down, and all present. That can cause shorting, if those two criteria are not met.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

All 6 of the standoffs that matchup to my mobo are present and I just retightened them all (one was a little loose) still changed nothing, powers on for 1-2 seconds then powers off with the mobo light staying on.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

The mobo light will be on as long as the mobo is receiving power. My bet would be the PSU though, have you got any other H/W to test it on?

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 01-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Papa Chester

Send a message via MSN to Antec-User

Does the board have a speaker?? Beep codes maybe?? Jumpers in the right places?? -Just my $0.02

<---- If You enjoyed my ramblings, or if I've helped you, Check me... :D
Old 01-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Sorry for the big delay here I had to take a break from messing with it, was getting way too frustrated. So unfortunately I've no other hardware to check it against. My only other PSU won't fit in the new casing and the connectors are all wrong . I've checked the jumpers. And beep codes aren't telling me anything the darn thing won't stay on long enough to beep more than the 1 time.

My guess at this point is a faulty PSU so what should I do knowing that? I'm thinking either A: Get in touch with the manufacturer and get a 2nd unit (if they'll send one) or B: Go to a computer repair shop and have them switch out the PSU for a known good one to isolate the issue to either the PSU or the mobo and then contact the manufacturer?

Closed Thread