New build power-up issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anexthesis

Solid State Member
Hi all, I just finished assembling my first computer and when I went to turn it on, it powers on for maybe 2 seconds and I hear all the fans just begin to whir on, then it beeps and auto-shuts off. The light on the mobo remains on and I've checked all the power connections multiple times and everything seems to be in the right places.

Parts:
Antec Basiq BP500U 500W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
AMD Phenom X3 8750 Black Edition Toliman 2.4GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Triple-Core Processor Model HD875ZWCGHBOX - Retail

I'll list out the rest of what I bought if it's necessary but apart from RAM this is all I'm running to isolate the issue. Any help with what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated.

have you read the directions for the motherboard properly?

I had trouble with my build at first because it had really really picky instructions on how to install the RAM for the first boot :|

so make sure stuff like that is taken care of..if that's all good

try different RAM ( isolate if it's a RAM issue )

what video card are you using?

I've read the motherboard manual basically back to front in trying to figure this out and it doesn't specify on RAM placement. I've tried it with 2 stick in varying positions and with 1 stick in the obvious 1st position, no difference. And for right now I haven't even installed the HD5770 I have until I disable the on-board HD4200.

I also just double checked on the grounding for the motherboard and nothing, that shouldn't be, is touching it.

I've read the motherboard manual basically back to front in trying to figure this out and it doesn't specify on RAM placement. I've tried it with 2 stick in varying positions and with 1 stick in the obvious 1st position, no difference. And for right now I haven't even installed the HD5770 I have until I disable the on-board HD4200.

I also just double checked on the grounding for the motherboard and nothing, that shouldn't be, is touching it.

Make sure the standoffs are tightened down, and all present. That can cause shorting, if those two criteria are not met.

All 6 of the standoffs that matchup to my mobo are present and I just retightened them all (one was a little loose) still changed nothing, powers on for 1-2 seconds then powers off with the mobo light staying on.

Sorry for the big delay here I had to take a break from messing with it, was getting way too frustrated. So unfortunately I've no other hardware to check it against. My only other PSU won't fit in the new casing and the connectors are all wrong :( . I've checked the jumpers. And beep codes aren't telling me anything the darn thing won't stay on long enough to beep more than the 1 time.

My guess at this point is a faulty PSU so what should I do knowing that? I'm thinking either A: Get in touch with the manufacturer and get a 2nd unit (if they'll send one) or B: Go to a computer repair shop and have them switch out the PSU for a known good one to isolate the issue to either the PSU or the mobo and then contact the manufacturer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom