New Build / Possible Video Card Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

scj6771

Baseband Member
I need some serious help.....I just got all the parts together for my new AMD rig (see below for part list) and after installing the last part which was my new MSI 7600GT I get no picture at all!!! I have 2 monitors which neither have a DVI option, which is no big deal cause the card comes complete with 2 DVI-VGA adapters.

The machine fires up but I am not getting any "beeps"? Of course the board does not come with any on board video or even an AGP slot, so troubleshooting is tough to do!!

At first I thought it could be the memory since it was a "bottom of the barrel" stick I bought awhile back, however it worked fine in my last rig and I just wanted to use it to get my rig up and running till the 1GB of corsair came in, and if the memory was the problem wouldn't I get some kind of warning sound?

I would bet that I either have a bad board or video card?

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2000MHz HT 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939
VIDEO - MSI 7600GT
MEMORY - Generic 256MB 2700 333mhz
MOBO - ASUS A8N-E NF4U
PSU - 550 WATT ANTEC
HARD DRIVE - WD 200GB 7200

Is the system speaker plugged in?

testing :

Take out the video card... boot it up. any beeps?
If no beeps occur, you either didnt hook up the system speaker, or your board is bad.

I am having the same issues with my build,but with a DFI Nf4 mobo. So your saying the system speaker has to be connected or it wont boot at all. Sorry for the newb questions and all but this is my first build. Any thing elese to check?

Thanks

Edit: I checked it again and my speaker is hooked up but no sounds. Sorry to hijack your thread but maybe somebody can help us both.:D

Yes I have the system speaker plugged in, I have taken out everything except the CPU of course, and still no beeps.

I also found this from HAL9000 posted on another forum.

1) Remove EVERYTHING from the case
2) Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. .DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can acually conduct electricity! We are going to try and assemble a running system outside of the case.
3) Install the CPU and heat sink.
4) Install the RAM (only install 1 stick for SDRAM, 2 for RDRAM)
5) Install the video card
6) Connect the monitor to the video card.
7) Connect the power supply to the motherboard.
8) Connect power to the power supply
9) Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
10) Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard.

I will also be making a trip to the PC store to purchase some compound to reseat the heatsink to the CPU. I sure hope I did not cause any more damage by taking the heatsink off??

Thanks for all your help thus far, I have re-seated the heatsink and still I am at a total loss, I have tried everything I can think of including running this board out of the case with only the CPU, PSU and video card, I upgraded my memory to a 256MB DDR3200 stick but still nothing.

I suppose it's either the board or CPU, I don't think I can get a replacement board since I bought it off NewEgg. I gotta say this is the first time I have worked on a tech project that had me so frustrated and ready to throw in the towel....

I still for the life of me can't figure out why I am not hearing any beeps?? I have reseated the memory numerous times and even cleared the CMOS.

I also can not get that lever to lock tightly on the heatsink, perhaps I will take a pic and post it, the lever pushes down but not all the way flush??

Here is what ASUS had to say

I was thinking of purchasing a cheap mobo and video card to use for testing purposes, any suggestions?

Perhaps if I throw my compenents on another board I can get the issue resolved.

***UPDATE***

Well I have got some good news and some bad news, First let me thank you all for your support and patience with me regarding this issue.

I decided to purchase a new (but cheap) mobo and vid card for testing purposes, well they finally arrived and I began building immediately, to be honest with you I thought for sure I had a bad CPU but I was wrong.

I simply installed the CPU onto the new board with the new vid card and it fired up!!, so I knew I had a bad mobo. Good news right? Well I decided to put the rig together using that mobo and my MSI 7600GT and things were going great, I installed Escape from Butcher Bay and was having a great time (I never realized how bad I needed a new graphics card) when all of a sudden the machine just shutdown.

My first guess is overheating, I was getting temps around 44c when under little stress, not sure what the temps were while I was playing. However now the rig fires up but just like with my previous mobo the only devices that seem to be working are the fans.

The bottom line is I am now in the same boat that I was in before, could the heatsink be pulling away from the CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom