new build, no video

Status
Not open for further replies.

beherenow71

Baseband Member
Hello

I just put together my first pc but I have no video when i turn it on, I also show an ff code on the mobo. Right now my only guess is its a problem with the ram or the mobo is bad. Anyone have ideas?

msi 790fx mobo
phenom 955 quad core processor
hd4850 video card
ocz 4 gb ram

Thanks

reseat everything.

make sure you have the pci-e power plug into the vid card from the power supply.

reset cmos

run only cpu gpu and ram to see if you can get into bios.

boot with one stick of ram. Try it in different slots.

recheck your risers under your board to make sure nothing is grounding the board.

Tried reseating, resetting CMOS, and moving the ram about. I'll have to check the ground I guess. Thanks for the help

If ivwere to try reseating the CPU, can I do it without removing the heatsink? I'm beginning to think I screwed something up, shoulda stuck pre-built. :(

No, you have to remove the heatsink to reseat the cpu.

Take the motherboard out of the case and place on a non conductive surface. Try seeing if it POSTs then.

Another thing that can cause this problem is an under-powered power-supply unit.
At work, I was "ordered" to make high-end graphics cards work in Dell Optiplexes. It was impossible for some cards. Without auxiliary power, the cards don't work. With auxiliary power the computer doesn't work (card draws too much power).
Are you sure your PSU can dish out sufficient wattage?

tried it today with the mobo out of the case, still no go. I then tried to remove the processor and re seat it. However when i pulled off the heatsink, the processor came with it. Now they are stuck together. I'm pretty much out of ideas, I'm guessing I probably screwed up something along they way. guess I should have stuck with pre-builts.

As for the power supply, I tried it using the 6 pin connector into the video card and I also tried it using the cards 6 pin to molex adapter.

The cpu and the heatsink will separate, just twist them apart. I would try a different power supply 1st, if possible. Is your PC beeping? Try starting it up with the video card removed. It won't work but it should start beeping. Do the same thing with the ram. It should produce a different beep pattern. If you pull the video card out and it beeps then it could be the video card grounding out the system. My next guess would be the power supply and then the mobo. If you pull it out and it doesn't beep then I would suspect the mobo 1st and then possibly the power supply. If you pull the memory out and it beeps then I would suspect the memory 1st, Mobo 2nd and the power supply last. If you pull the memory out and it doesn't beep then I would say the power supply 1st and the mobo 2nd.

It's really just a guessing game unless you have a supply of spare parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom