tosh9999

Beta member
I have assembled a machine with this:

Phenom II X4 965 3.4 Ghz CPU
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 GPU
Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 1TB Hard Drive
4x 2GB Crucial DDR3 240 PIN DIMM RAM
ASRock 870 Extreme3 Motherboard
Corsair CX600 ATX Power Supply Unit (Yes it has 40A on the +12V rail)
HP 24X Multiformat DVD/CD Writer
Cooler Master Centurion 531 Tower

I used to have a different motherboard, an M4A785TD-V EVO that had integrated video. Back with that motherboard, I could not get any video to display from either the integrated video or the 5750 GPU. This new motherboard has no integrated video but the Radeon still isn't giving me any video whatsoever. I don't have the OS (Windows 7 OEM copy) or drivers installed yet because I can't get any video to display. I've tried resetting CMOS with jumpers, using each RAM stick just one at a time, removing and inserting the CMOS battery, trying both PCI-express slots for the GPU, and trying two different monitors (one CRT and one LCD) and three cables.

The video card only has two DVI and two HDMI ports. I've tried a DVI-DVI cable and two DVI-VGA cables (the VGA end going into either monitor). My CRT monitor has two input slots, one VGA and one DVI. My LCD monitor has just VGA input. I've tried every arrangement possible and used both DVI ports on the video card.

I also tried plugging in my old hard drive which has XP along with my old NVidia GeForce 7600 which has DVI as well as VGA slots, in hopes of getting something to display so I could possibly install Windows 7 on the new hard drive. Still not a hint of video came.

All four (GPU, CPU heatsink, tower, power supply) fans are working, lights are on inside, startup sounds are going so everything seems good as far as I can tell. There's just no hint of any video. My CRT monitor seems to be able to tell that there's a cable in, but it says it's getting no signal. The LCD simply says no signal.

If my GPU is bad, then so was the integrated video on my other motherboard. Could all four RAM sticks be defective? Could using an HDMI cable change anything? I have removed the CPU once with each motherboard while the lever was shut because I wanted to get the heatsink off and the glue was really sticky and I couldn't reach the lever. This bent some pins which I bent back and it seems to look and feel good again. I've heard stories where CPU pins were bent back and things were ok, but how would I tell if the CPU is busted? I don't really want to try to take it off any more for risk of bending pins again.

I'm sorry that this post is so long-winded and redundant. I'm just trying to cover all the bases because this really, really stumps me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried using a different processor in the board in question, or failing that, the processor in a different board?

And have you tried using the Asus board's integrated GPU without the PCI-e video card installed?

Yeah, both monitors have always worked on other machines on my watch. I could try my old single-core Athlon with the new mobo, but I'm reluctant to remove the CPU. I'm open to suggestions on a safe way to do it. I don't have the Asus board anymore or any other board with which the Phenom will work, but perhaps I could borrow one.

I tried using the Asus board's integrated video with and without the Radeon installed.

Oh wow, it turned out I had too much thermal glue on so it messed up the processor... It's working fine at last.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom