Asus P5Q motherboard
2 4870 HD video cards
E8500 CPU
Thermalright 120 extreme Heatsink
4 gigs of corsair ram
H1000 corsair PSU
Seagate barracuda 500 g HDD
Samsung DVD writer

Now, this is my first ever build, but im sure this problem will sounds strange even to you guys. I put her all together.. and sat her up, turned on the PSU and went to hit power.. when it turned on by itself, for some strange reason. It stayed on for about 3 seconds then shut off. I had to turn PSU off then on, and again, it turned itself on.. then off. So my first thought after reading forums was its probably a short, or my CPU is overheating.

So i layed her down, opened her up and reconnected everything.. turned it on and it stayed on! there was no beep for a post, but it went to the please insert disc screen, which i did, and it started downloading windows. I was like :D!, so i turned it off, sat it upright.. and again.. this is where it gets wierd... it turned itself on and then off 3 seconds later. So now im thinking.. wtf? it only works on its side? so i put it back down turn it on.. and it starts turning on off on off on off.. so i once again, disconnect everything.. and im back where i started. It can run, for the 2-3 minutes i checked, on its side.. but it wont standing vertical?

I took some pictures of my setup for u, sorry, i know uploading.com sucks..

Download Pic1.jpg free - Uploading.com
Download pic2.jpg free - Uploading.com
Download pic3.jpg free - Uploading.com
Download pic4.jpg free - Uploading.com

One last thing.. my Heatsink is loose. Not.. loose like it moves on its own,but i can physically turn it left/right on the thermal paste.. like 10 degrees each way? I read in another review that this is normal, but i figured id mention it. I figure it cant be a hardware issue since on its side it can at least start installing windows?

You guys are the pros tho ! :D Any help is appreciated!!

Sorry for the mountain of text :eek:

sounds like a short on the mobo. i had a e machines pc do this to me once. turns out a screw got lodged between the mobo and mobo tray and was causing it to short and cut off

Thanks for the quick reply! ill un-install the MB and see if anythings hiding behind lol.

Well I wasn't about to make an account on that site, but yeah it's a short, or a loose wire...and it's turning on by itself? Unusual you sure everything is hooked up, and correctly?

And i've had that happen, it's fun isn't it... lol i just rehooked everything up and it ran fine.

If its working only on it's side it sounds like something is loose.

Check all the plugs twice and make sure the heatsink is mounted correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom