New build died while playing! (no POST, no beeps, fans don't spin...) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2006, 07:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Exclamation New build died while playing! (no POST, no beeps, fans don't spin...)

This is my first post here... i hope you can help me :_(
I'll tell you the full story. I've built my new PC a few months ago, with new and old components.

These are the *new* components:
- AMD X2 +4800 (i've used the AMD heatsink & fan)
- ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe
- GeIL Ultra-X Dual Ch. DDR 1GB (2x512MB)
- Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900XT
- Enermax Liberty 600W

And these are the *old* ones:
- SoundBlaster Audigy 2
- 2x Western Digital Raptor 36GB SATA (i use RAID 0)
- Western Digital Caviar 120GB
- LG 120MB Floppy Disk Drive

When i mounted all, the system worked well... but almost all the games (except TES4-Oblivion) make strange things. I've read something about Dual Core trouble in games and i installed the MS hotfix (the latest AMD and ATI drivers were already installed). I tried to patch the games for single core affinity and some worked well (Thief 3), some not (GR:AW and all the V-Source engine based worked bad, random hangs).
A few weeks ago, one day, using Word, the system stopped and the lights of my house went off. When i pull the lights back on the PSU blew (sparks, burn smell...).
Ok, i'd one old Enermax 460W. I plugged it and the system seemed dead. The fans connected to the mobo didn't move (the ones plugged to the PSU do). I thought the mobo was dead due to the PSU blow and changed it for the same ASUS model to preserve my RAID config.

I was using the new mobo for 2 weeks, the games worked perfect. A few days ago the games started to hang. I've to reset because i can't go back to Win XP Pro, it' says i've low system resources to start the Task Manager ¬Ņ?!. I've tried switching the memos for another pair of GeIL Ultra-X, and nothing changed. I've tried to put the 4 memos to get 2GB of RAM but the games continue to crash after 30 mins of play. I've upgraded the mobo BIOS to the latest 0404. Nothing

Yesterday i was playing HL2 Ep. One and the system hung. Reset and played for another 30 mins... and then the system suddenly stopped. The fans connected to the mobo stopped and the ATi fan too (like when the PSU blew a few weeks ago). I've tried letting the system cold for hours, but didn't work. I can't start the PC anymore!

Did the PSU blew again? (this time didn't spark nor smell burnt)
Is the mobo faulty? (last time the PSU broke it, and now... is it faulty?)
Is any other component killing the PSU or the mobo, maybe the SAI?

Any ideas?
Help me, please :_(

Old 06-12-2006, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to IBMan

if you have an extra psu, try that, check your CPU and theres a chance its the mobo, i'd check the others first tho.

AMD Athlon 4000+ @ 2.4 GHz
4096 MB RAM
Dual Mirrored 500 GB HDDs
Windows Server 2003 x64 R2 SP2
Old 06-12-2006, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

make a page file if it says the computer is low on resources.
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Do a dead system basic start. Make sure your pSU is good! Pull everything off the mobo except 1 stick of mem, video card and cpu/heatsink + fan. Does the system power on and go to the bios screen? If not..........mobo or cpu has taken a dump!!!
Noli Nothis Permittere Te Terere!!
EVGA 680i, Dual EVGA 8800GT'S (650/950), 4 gigs OCZ DDR2 1066, Intel Q9450 at 3.8 Ghz, Koolance Water Cooled, Dual Plextor16x DL DVD+/-RW. Dual WD 250gb 16mb Cache Sata 3.0. 3DMark06 score = 19,168.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

A friend lend me a 600W Enermax to check if the old PSU was dead and the system started!! Everything seems to be working now... but the games hang when i play for a while!!

Any idea?
Should i test the CPU and G.Card? How?
Closed Thread