New Build - Can't Load OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
note - if your HDD is primary master, that doesnt mean the jumper should be put in the MS (master) position.... If there is no slave accompanying the Primary master HDD, the jumper should be either set to (Single) or Removed totally, maybe even set to CS (cable select) depending on the manufacturur..... that solved my problem one time.

if you suspect a ram problem you can run Memtest86 on it first... www.memtest.org

just download the pre-compiled package for floppy and extract to a floppy and boot off of it, or download the ISO and burn to a CD if you preffer it that way... then just let it run making multiple pass's to test your ram.

also could it be possible that there might be some connection errors with the pins of the CPU with the mobo?

alright, after monkeying around (unbelievably monotonous, but thats how it goes i guess) I finally got the system to consistantly stop at the error message " partmgr.sys corrupt". I have a feeling this has something to do with messing around with the hard drive in other computers and all that garbage. I think I'll research a way to COMPLETELY delete the hard drive and start over. If that doesn't work then I might have to consider buying an emachine..........just kidding

Well, I just bought a new hard drive and attempted to install and boot windows, same error message. Obviously not the hard drive. Any ideas?

make sure your cdrom is bootable and is set to boot off that drive or get some boot floppys from bootdisk.com

yeah, I'm sure it's booting from the cd rom. I contacted the manufacturer this morning, I am returning the motherboard, not sure if thats the issue or not, but thats the next step. I'll let you know if that was the problem. Thanks for all the info.

i think its the mobo... i asked some of the people in the forums that i play games in, and they said that its most likely that the mobo has a defect or u blew the thing sky high, try to trade it in for another one, and see if that one works, if not then return it and buy a different type of mobo

partmgr.sys corrupt mean your system isn't formatted properly. I would format it in the other computer and as soons as the format is done, eject the xp cd. then hit f3 when the installation can't continue. then put the hard drive back in the original computer and then install windows. make sure you leave the file system intact when that option comes up.

jolancer said:
note - if your HDD is primary master, that doesnt mean the jumper should be put in the MS (master) position.... If there is no slave accompanying the Primary master HDD, the jumper should be either set to (Single) or Removed totally, maybe even set to CS (cable select) depending on the manufacturur..... that solved my problem one time.

Sorry to jump in here a stray off-topic, but cable select would only work here if he has an CSEL enabled IDE cable. Which i'm guessing he doesn't. It's probably a standard IDE cable that came with the motherboard.

This problem sucks. I'd be really ticked off if I were you. But, keep at it, don't quit. With the help of the people here at techist.com you'll get it up and running in no time....

Update, I bought a new hard drive, just to see if that was the problem, it wasn't, had the same thing happen. I returned the motherboard and am waiting for the replacement, hopefully this was the problem. Thanks for the input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom