new BSOD issue.

semex

Baseband Member
Hi, I have a new BSOD issue.
I was watching a video on youtube and suddenly my screen went black for a second and the a message came up saying "amd recovered". After reloading the youtube page, the BSOD came up. The BSOD message was:

0x0000016 (0xfffffA8004B59010, OXFFFFF880040BE768 0X 0000000000000000, 0X 000000000000000 2)
atikmpag.sys- Address FFFFF880040BE768 base at FFFFF 880040B6000 date stamp 4f7e4294

After turning it off the pc wouldn't come back on for a few minutes.

It might help to mention that i tried uninstalling Catalyst control center(which came with the video card driver) and
unsuccesfully. So i rolled my pc pack and reinstalled it. Now on the ccc update panel it says i have 12.3 even though i downloaded and installed the update 12.4. Under the control panel uninstal it wont let me uninstall "amd catalyst install manager." However i can when i open the installer. When I reinstall it it says installed but with warnings.
I figure this is somehow related to the recent bsod. Do I need to download a driver sweeper and reinstall?

Thanks. There is a lot of sweeper programs available. Is there a reason why that one is good?

And how come reformating windowns is so bad?

DriverSweeper is the preferred app around these parts. I had use it quite a few times.

You mean reinstalling Windows? Well, you lose all your personal files and any applications unless you back it up.

And how come reformating windowns is so bad?

Not necessarily bad.. But you don't really learn anything, IMO if the first step you do is reformat. You didn't take the time to problem solve or work out what the issue was.

This is what irks me about most IT departments (the one I'm working at now does this too); their first step is to re-image. Re-imaging isn't always the best solution, but it gets done because there's less time spent troubleshooting a single system.

The sweeper isn't showing anything with ATI in the name. I do see 'AMD-Display". Is this something I should sweep?

ATI is owned by AMD, so the AMD-Display would probably the the display driver.

Well can any confirm that its okay to uninstall "AMD- Display" and it be safe? Just trying to reinstall drivers for my video card.

Back
Top Bottom