New barebones freezing up during widows install

Status
Not open for further replies.

typeographic

Beta member
:( hi, I just put together a new machine. I have a ASUS M2N68-VM MOTHERBOARD, AMD DUAL CORE ATHLON 64 6000+ PROCESSOR, 2 - 1 gig sticks of PC2-6400 DDR2-800MHz 240-Pin SDRAM, and a new 40 gig maxtor HD. I get windows to load , and it gets to the point of preparing for installation, 39 minutes remaining. It actually freezes at the same exact point everytime. Right where windows says something about video and pictures are easy to share ect.. I think that it may not be accessing the information from my dvd-rom drive. Ive noticed that windows loads to that point without spinning my dvd-rom. If my dvdrom isn't compatible with my motherboard, wouldn't it not work from the start? Or not even show up in my bios? Im lost everything is new except for my dvd-rom. Oh yea I tried 3 different xp discs. Please help Thanks

Have you tried installing windows with only one stick of ram installed?

What version of windows are you installing?

For your hard drive and dvd drive are they ide or sata?

Do you have access to a different dvd drive to try to use for the install process?

A "NEW" 40 GB Maxtor hard drive???

I would put money on it that the hard drive is bad. When you do the install do a "full" format versus the quick one and see if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom