Networking help

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonPorkchop

Daemon Poster
I need help :(. My ISP sucks, (WOW), and after about a day, I have to hit the reset button my modem, because it will slow down to a crawl if i dont. Today i hit the reset button on my modem, then on my router as i always do, but my network doesent show up on the list. What happened?

I don't understand... Why is it slowing down? Have you called your ISP? You shouldn't be asking why your temporary fix didn't work, you should be asking why it needs to be reset in the first place.

Is the cable modem overheating? Or the router?

What more than likely is happening is that when you reset your modem you're not giving it enough time to obtain a DHCP address (assuming it's using DHCP) before you reset your router too.

Unplug power from both the modem and the router completely - after about 30 seconds plug the cable modem back in. Wait a minute or as long as it takes for your cable modem to establish an IP address, then plug the router back in.

Okay thanks ill try that in a few minutes (playing counter strike right now). Oh yeah i forgot to mention that the computer using an ethernet coming from the router gets internet. just not the wireless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom