Network connection stopped working!? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Network connection stopped working!?

I have a Shuttle SD36G5 which is approx 10 months old. Being used as a HTPC with Media Center OS. Has been working fine until a few days ago when suddenly it will no longer connect to the internet. I have two other computers connecting via the same dsl ethernet router which are working fine.

A few troubleshooting efforts later, I've determined that the "local area connection" under network connections no longer exists, although it still shows a 1394 network connection. The green light which used to backlight the ethernet port on the rear of the computer no longer is lit, and I've verified that the cat-5 cable is still good. Reinstalled the motherboard network drivers - no effect.

I'm no power user by any stretch, but all signs indicate the nic is no longer working. It is built into the Shuttle motherboard as part of a combo lan and usb port. Any ideas of what I could do to repair or (assuming it is the nic) do I have to replace the motherboard? If that is even possible with this model Shuttle?

Please help!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Patron

Default Re: Network connection stopped working!?

buy a network pci card............ much easier then replacing the motherboard

Old 04-26-2007, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the reply. I would get a card, that would be a simple fix (I assume) but since this is a Shuttle PC I have only two slots, currently being used by graphics card which gives me proper video out for my LCD tv, and a Hauppage TV tuner card for TV input through MCE.

Any other ideas?
Old 04-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Patron

well I have seen a usb network card once but they would be very rare.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE

Newegg is full of USB > Ethernet devices. Here is the first one I found on the list.

Newegg.com - SMC SMC2209USB/ETH 10/20/100/200Mbps USB Compact Ethernet Adapter 1 x RJ45 - Retail

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Closed Thread