Network card issues

the99o

Beta member
I've had this problem now for about 2 years and nothing seems to fix it:/
Every 20/30-ish minutes my pc disconnects from the internet and only reconnects when i click troubleshoot problems and wait for 2 minutes.
My network card is an Atheros AR938x and my drivers are up to date.
Ive tried reinstalling the network card, turning off "allow computer to turn this off to save energy" and a lot more, but still the problem isn't resolved.
(I suspect that the card is broken but the device manager tells me it works fine)
Please, clever forum members, help me repair this!

Assuming this is a wifi card?

If so, then are there any devices in the way of your router/computer that would cause interference, such as a cordless phone, microwave, etc?

good idea, but i dont think so. i should have mentioned that the other computers/devices
in the network arent having any trouble.

PS: i Just updated the driver a few hours ago and it still happens but somehow now i dont need to troubleshoot, but still i disconnect every 20 minutes:/

Did you get the drivers directly from Atheros, or from your computer's manufacturer's site? If the latter, then go here and get the latest (assuming you have Windows 7): Drivers for Atheros AR938X and Windows 7

If the drivers from there don't work, and nothing is causing interference... then the easiest thing to do would be to just swap the wireless card out and see if the new one works or not.

got the drivers from that exact website. swapping the card may be easier said than done, because im running a windows 7 partion on my imac (problems occuring on both windows and mac) and id have to send it in for repair:/ perhaps ill try rebooting my pc AGAIN after updating the drivers.

Does it do the same thing while booted into OSX? If so... then it's definitely a hardware issue. If it works fine in OSX but acting up in Win7... then it's a software/driver issue.

well not really the same thing. in osx it happens about every 3 hours or so and fixes itself in like 30 seconds. ill try some more stuff out and write on here again when i succeeded (or failed)

But the point is that it still happens, right? IMO it's most likely a hardware issue.

If you want to be sure, try getting a USB wifi adapter and see if that does the same thing. That way you don't have to send it in (yet).

Back
Top Bottom