"A network cable is unplugged"; only, not your average issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default "A network cable is unplugged"; only, not your average issue

Hi, I searched around for a while and all of the issues involving this statement are not my problem. Basically I have a working, though recently run, cat 5e cable outlet to my room. It works perfectly with the laptop I am typing on at the moment, so the wall socket and the cable itself are fine. When I plug this same cable into my desktop all I get is the "a network cable is unplugged" line. There are no lights on the card in the back, and yes it is a pci card. A few days ago, as I pulled out one of my usb devices, something may have arc'ed and the whole pc shut down. Ever since, the networking card does not function, as described. I grabbed another card from my parents house and threw that in, hoping that the original card had just been fried, but that did not solve the problem. The new card was correctly detected by windows and is supposedly opperating correctly. I am stumped and was hoping somebody could shed some light as to what may have gone wrong, and if so, how I might fix it. There is no trace of anything else being wrong other than neither network card lights up and no attempt is made to get an IP address from my router.
Thanks for any help and sorry for being long winded.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: "A network cable is unplugged"; only, not your average issue

You might try rebooting the router while the pc is hooked up and powered. I had a similar issue with my cable modem not giving me any connectivity when i built my new machine. It is probably considering the new card as a new device and not seeing it.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Sadly I already tried that, but got nowhere. I just can't image what could phsicallygo wrong on the mobo but not affect anything else
Old 08-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Does device manager see the card? Are the correct drivers installed? Have you tried the cards in different pci slots?

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 08-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Well i had my cat chew through a usb cable and completely short out the onboard usb and network, so stranger things can happen. Have you tried going into the dos command and try a loopback. If i recall correctly its just ping 127.0.0.1

Also try doing an ipconfig /all and check to see if it shows a good network device > ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew
Old 08-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for sticking with me. I tried the loopback and four of four sent packets were received, so I guess everthing looks good there. What does that maneuver tell me?

I then used ipconfig and it says "media disconnected"
What should I try next?
Thanks for your help
Old 08-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

have you looked at these yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefemeister View Post
Does device manager see the card? Are the correct drivers installed? Have you tried the cards in different pci slots?

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 08-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Sorry, yes I have checked and tried about four different pci slots
Old 08-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Do you have the correct drivers installed for the card? Also, do you have your PC set up with a static IP or DHCP? Check your TCP/IP settings and check your DHCP client service to see if it is started.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The PC isset up currently for DHCP but I did try static, with no change. I also checked to see that theDHCP was started and it is. As far as the driver is concerned, windows recognized the card and installed drivers, so I have not doubted that it is the correct one. There isn't really any markings on the card itself so I cannot look for a better driver. It is just your run of the mill Intel NIC

Closed Thread